Booster seat help, PLEASE!!

medicrunner

My daughter is currently 5yo, in a Boulevard CS, however, I was looking to get her something she could grow into a bit more and put the Boulevard in her dads car. She weighs 46 lbs, and is around 48 inches tall. I was thinking either the Recaro Pro Booster or the Frontier 85, as they both have five point harnesses that can be used to 90 or 85 pounds respectively. We have a 2011 Town and Country van, and she is in one of the captains chairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im not sure what to do, or what one would be best. Thanks so much!!

ADS

cookie123

The seat is outgrown forward facing if her shoulders are above the top harness slots, or the ears go above the shell, or the weight limit is met. A lot of kids have outgrown the Boulevard by 5 - so check her fit.

I personally prefer harnessed at 5, especially a new 5. But you might have a harnessed seat in the main car and use a booster in the less used one and use it to train her to sit correctly. You won't want her using a booster unless she can stay in position for the whole ride.

medicrunner

ok, so what is a better seat?? The Britax frontier or the recaro prosport?? both have the five point, which at this point, I think she still needs, but can be moved to a regular booster, right? they are both at the same price point as well.

cookie123

If you do consider a high back booster, you may find this link helpful.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

The Frontier has the highest top slots, so will likely last longer harnessed. Most kids outgrow their seats by height before weight. The Recaro ProSport is the harnessed seat, which is also a good choice. Other options which have about the same top slots would be the Graco Nautilus, the Evenflo SecureKid 300 or 400.

Last edited:

lourdes

What's your budget? The frontier is a nice seat, If the Boulevard is outgrown and you need to buy 2 car seats then I will look also at the Nautilus or the Argos

medicrunner

Well, I didnt want to spend more than 250 on the one for my van. I see that the Recaro and the Britax are exactly the same price on sale right now at many places. Amazon has them both for 223 right now, not sure if thats good or if they are cheaper somewhere?? If I need to get one for my husbands vehicle, I will probably go for a cheaper one, such as a nuatilus as she isnt in his vehicle very often at all. Does the Britax have top slots that are higher than the Recaro?? Going strictly by looks, the Recaro looks like its built better, but again, Im not familiar with either of them so I dont know for sure. I appreciate your help ladies!!

cookie123

The Frontier85 has higher top slots than the Pro Sport. I personally would go with the Frontier. Keep in mind I haven't used either, but just going by what has been said about them here. I have installed a Frontier once and it was easy in that vehicle.

lourdes

I think you can get the Frontier for the main car and the Nautilus for your DH car, the frontier in amazon is 214 and the Nautilus is 138

koda&phiasmama

I had ordered my son the prosport and I personally didn't like the seatbelt install it layed wonky behind my sons back he complained about it so I returned it, it was before I was a member here and could have sold it :(

luckyclov

Many people are, but I, personally, am not a ProSport lover. It has shorter harness top slots than the Frontier 85 (tallest on the market at 20"), a shorter booster, a shorter lifespan, a funky open belt path seatbelt installation (my DD *hated* it), and Recaro requires the top tether to be disconnected at 52 lbs (in harnes mode).

My DD is 4.5yr old and we just bought the FR85,:love: She LOVES it!!!:love: In fact she has asked if we could get another one for my van. (currently still in her Marathon for a bit longer..not much though) I searched and searched and this was my conclusion. I too want to haver her harnessed as long as possible..she sleeps a lot in the car. This will be her last carseat hopefully. :)Good Luck!! P.S. the location of the cupholders on the FR85 Rocks!! They are not in the way, or obtrusive what-so-ever!! :D

christineka

If your dd is not often in one vehicle, I'd consider buying a good, dedicated booster for the secondary seat. A 5 year old can reasonably be riding in a booster. I'd choose the frontier for the main seat. Check your dd in the boulevard to see where her shoulders are in relation to the top harness position in the boulevard. If her shoulders are below, she's fine to stay in it.

medicrunner

After throughly looking over her in the boulevard, she is good in that for probably at least another 6mos, as its not adjusted all the way to the top yet, and it fits her well, which is great on my pocketbook:) Meanwhile, after hearing your suggestions I have ordered the Britax, thanks so much for all of your help!!:) It is throughly appreciated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC