Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: 3rd row seating

3rd row seating

What is the thought on third row seating? Is this area considered to be a crumple zone and hence not very safe? I know when I was growing up sitting in the back of our Volvo station wagon was not considered a great idea for that reason. I have a Mercedes R 350 with 3 rows of seats and it seem the back seat cannot possible be very safe. It seems that the midsize sport utes that have 3 rows also have very small areas behind the 3rd row.

Thanks!
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 3rd row seating

Sitting in an outboard seat is even more dangerous, since side impacts are more common, more severe and account for far more fatalities to properly restrained passengers.

Being close to a side or rear impact is not ideal, but at least severe impacts tend to be much less frequent than side or frontal crashes.

Having properly adjusted shoulder belts and head restraints is important, since the main risks are from whiplash type injuries and due to seatback mechanisms that can be loaded to failure by heavy adults. Kids in properly restrained in a harnessed child seat or high back booster are not at much risk for these issues.

I have no problem having one or more of my kids in the third row of any newer vehicle, as long as they can be properly restrained there in accordance with the owner's manuals.

Re: 3rd row seating

Good to know... I guess I won't worry to much is DS has to ride back there at some point.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide