Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Best seat for chunky toddler

Now that I think I have the babys seat figured out I need advice for ds seat. He is in a MR65 and we hate it! It's the stupid recline RF that he hates. He needs something more upright RF so he can see something other than the ceiling. He is probably between 2.5' and 3' tall and pushing 30lbs. Hes built really solid, not super chubby, just thick. Would you think TF for him or is there something better?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Have you tried installing the Myride more upright?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

I found the MR to be fairly upright when installed, have you put pressure on the foot area when tightening - to get the ball as far towards the front ebd of green as possible? (I tend to install my seat just the teensyest smidge in the red, which disappears once the child sits in it and it reclines back a bit.)

For a child who is described a "chunky/thick," a TF would be near the bottom of my list for recommendations. I would look for a seat with a 40lb limit, if not a 45lb Radian. With the angle adjuster, it should be nice and upright for your DS. The new Peg & Clek seats might be options, too, I don't know that much about them though.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Re: Best seat for chunky toddler

Quote Originally Posted by hrice View Post
    Have you tried installing the Myride more upright?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    No I haven't, maybe I should fight with his a bit more before I completely give up on it. I think maybe I need to rearrange my seat placements in the van anyway and if I can get from in the middle of the row it may make it lots easier to get him in and out of too.