3 seats for best 3-across fit

Maritime Mummy

My car is a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback. I do not know the width of the backseat off hand but know that it definitely larger by about 2 or 3 inches than my 2005 Toyota Camry LX. I have two children and on days when I look after a 3rd, I want to be able to drive if I need to.

My son is 8 months old, 22.5lb, and rides rear facing in a First Years True Fit.

My daughter is 2.5 years, 26lb, and rides forward facing in an Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX.

I have two spare seats: an Alpha Omega and a Scenera.

With the seats that my daughter and son ride in, there is no way I can possibly fit a 3rd seat in there, no matter how I puzzle it in. Just won't do. What 3 seats out of the 4 could puzzle together the best, to you think?

3rd child could both rear-face...I look after two kids part time, one is 13 months and the other is 2.5 years...mom of the 13 month old FF's and mom of the 2.5 year old RF's. I would prefer RF'ing the 13 month old.

Thanks for any input! :)

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think your best bet is going to be rearfacing all three across -- Alpha Omega, Scenera, TrueFit. Not sure those will fit, but alternating high and low profile in seats all going the same direction usually fits the best.

Are you open to purchasing any new seats, and if so, what would be your budget?

Also, I would NOT forward-face the 2.5yo you watch. I am comfortable making a more conservative decision than a parent, but not a less conservative one, kwim?

(Are you familiar with the benefits of extended rearfacing? I would look at turning your daughter back rearfacing, unless there's a reason you've turned her forward-facing already?)

Maritime Mummy

I had no intention to forward face the 2.5 year old I watch. I guess I didn't make that clear: but it's not my decision to change up what a parent is already doing unless it makes the child safer (like in the case of the 13 month old).

I will not be going back to rear-facing my daughter. I know the benefits but I choose not to do it at this stage in the game: she's been forward facing for too long and I think it is unfair to turn her around after all of that. We rear faced to 2 years, I think that was sufficient.

A new seat is not in the cards at this point. I will be approved soon through a home daycare agency who supplies necessary items for home day cares, so i will be putting in a request for a Diono, but that won't be for some time. Do you think the Diono and the seats my two kids currently ride in (the True Fit and the Triumph) would fit together? I really really am not going to put my daughter rear facing again, and honestly cannot see how 3 rear-facing in the backseat would be the best option because the Triumph and True Fit are VERy wide seats, but especially the Triumph...and its widest point seems to be at the head. I just can't visualize how 3 would/could fit rear-facing. I figured I'd have to puzzle them in with a forward and two rear.

Brianna

Some of the Alpha Omegas have a removable base. If you flip it over, there is a metal bar you pull out and the base comes off. Do you still have the manual for this car seat? If you do, you'll be able to determine if your base comes off or not

(and hi btw :happy-wavehello:, good to see you here :))

lourdes

I think you can install the Scenera FF in the center for your DD, the True Fit RF outboard for your DS and either the Evenflo or the baseless Alpha Omega RF outboard to use with either of the other kids, I think you best option will be the Evenflo since it has the infinity harness you won't need to be readjusting the harness height every time either of the kids use it, is important to keep your DD in the center since she is the "least" protected child

Maritime Mummy

No, didn't work. I am having to rethink everything. The Scenera and the Alpha Omega are the grandparent's seats, so they are going back to them, and I am going to see if I can get funding from my daycare agency to loan me a Diono, and see if I can puzzle them in that way. I really want my own kids to ride in the First years and Evenflo ones over the Scenera and the AO because I personally feel they are safer if they are going to be in them more. But I feel like at the same time I am sort of screwing myself over by keeping the much larger seats.

Brianna

By no means can you classify one seat as safer than another. Provided you will install and use a seat correctly, and the seat is appropriate for the child, it's safe. Any speculation beyond that, that one seat is safer than another is just that- speculation.

christineka

Got 3 across a lancer once, but I didn't have many options of available seats. I did: Rfing evenflo titan, ffing baseless intera, and rfing (obviously) evenflo embrace. The two safety 1st avenues the mom had just bought would not fit in there at all. The intera's base is just like the alpha omega's, so taking that off might work and then maybe a rfing scenera on one side. I know someone who was able to puzzle a ffing avenue with a ffing eta. I can do a ffing radian next to a ffing true fit in the tight part of my van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC