Question Car seat laws/penalties in WA?

robbertbobbert

I tried to post this earlier but my Internet kept crapping out, so hopefully it doesn't show up twice.

What are the car seat laws in WA and how much are the penalties if you get a ticket? My brain is too fried to do any kind of research right now.

I'm STILL trying to get the mom I sit for to put her four year old an six year old in seats.

They currently go between no seats and no belts, belts with the shoulder part behind the back, and shared front seat no belt.

It breaks my heart to see them like that.

ADS

Jessica61624

We have a proper use law here. As well as 8 or 4 9 to be without a booster.

Eta a no seat belt ticket is $101 iirc. And they can pull you over for not wearing one.

robbertbobbert

Jessica61624 said:
We have a proper use law here. As well as 8 or 4 9 to be without a booster.

Eta a no seat belt ticket is $101 iirc. And they can pull you over for not wearing one.

Thanks.

Would that be $101 for each person not wearing one?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I believe it's also a ticket to have a child under a certain age in the front seat in WA, isn't it?

robbertbobbert

It's illegal to have a child under the age of 13 in the front seat when it's practical to have them in the back, yes.

Wendy

So would that be an additional seatbelt ticket? Or is it a different amount?

I'm trying to convince her that getting pulled over ONE time would be more expensive than buying the freaking seats (which would be easily done for under $200). She has money, though, so it's just that she doesn't think it's important.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't know, but I suspect that if they're both without a booster AND in the front seat that would be a ticket for each.

So if she straps both kids into the front seat with one seat belt, she's at the very least got four violations: Two kids without boosters and two kids in the front seat. There might also be an additional ticket for improper use of a seat belt because they're sharing one belt.

I bet she'd be looking at $500 or so worth of tickets if she got caught like that.

Pretty stupid when the whole thing can be solved with two $9.99 low back boosters from Walmart (assuming both kids are big enough to use boosters). http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-LiteRider-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Pink/15047827

I wouldn't even waste my breath trying to get her to buy harnessed seats for them.

robbertbobbert

J is 38 lbs
N is 49 lbs and really short

I mean I guess she'd be avoiding tickets by putting them in lbbs, but no way in hell would they sit in them properly. If they aren't asleep in the car, they're trying to hit each other, climb into the front, hang out the windows, lay on the floor, whatever. There's no way they'd stay in position at all.

I showed her the GN J rides in in my car and the HB Turbo N rides in (I'll have him in a harness the second I can afford a second one, he doesn't sit right), and she really liked the GN. Especially since I found a black one.

If she doesn't think it's important, then good luck.

That's what I'm thinking at this point. When it first came up she seemed really concerned about getting an expensive ticket, and asked me to pick out seats for her and tell her where to get them.

So that's why I'm asking how much she could be get a ticket for, since apparently the price of the ticket is more important than her kids' safety.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
J is 38 lbs
N is 49 lbs and really short

I mean I guess she'd be avoiding tickets by putting them in lbbs, but no way in hell would they sit in them properly. If they aren't asleep in the car, they're trying to hit each other, climb into the front, hang out the windows, lay on the floor, whatever. There's no way they'd stay in position at all.

If a cop saw that, simply having boosters in the car would probably not save her from the ticket. It would depend on the cop, but she'd still be in violation if the children aren't actually sitting IN the boosters properly. "Proper use" is part of the WA law.

If she doesn't think she can discipline the kids to stay seated and keep their belts on, a pair of Nautiluses would be perfect.

But if she doesn't start talking to them about safety, it's only a temporary solution. Eventually they will outgrow them. She needs to model safety by keeping her seat belt on and teach the children to be responsible for keeping themselves buckled, too.

robbertbobbert

If she doesn't think she can discipline the kids to stay seated and keep their belts on, a pair of Nautiluses would be perfect.

But if she doesn't start talking to them about safety, it's only a temporary solution. Eventually they will outgrow them. She needs to model safety by keeping her seat belt on and teach the children to be responsible for keeping themselves buckled, too.

I HIGHLY doubt she would even be willing to consider putting N in a harness. Their whole family has this weird gender mindset and I'm sure she would see putting a 6 year old boy in a harness as "weak." Don't even ask me how "strong" she expects a 6 year old to be, or what being safely restrained has to do with masculinity.

They do pretty well in my car with just J harnessed, she's usually the instigator. He messes up my seatbelts in a booster in my car, which is another reason I want him in a harness, but I think he probably could do okay in a booster with some discipline and direction from his mom. He just falls asleep all the time and even with a back on his turbo I've noticed him moving out of position a few times.

I wish car seats made more sense to most people. I just don't get how it's not common sense to realize your four year old and six year old CAN NOT share the front seat, with or without a seatbelt, it's insanely unsafe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC