Question Skipping the infant (bucket) seat?

KatieMB

We are, hopefully, moving onto baby #3 and currently have a 2 year old (27lbs, RF in a Radian XTSL. And a 4 (47lbs) year old, FF in a Radian 80 and a maestro in the other car.

Our cars are a 2003 Toyota Matrix and a Honda Accord (2003 - smaller than newer models).

I tried to put our old Graco (which was in a car accident so we'd have to buy new) in with the two Radians in my car and can't get good fits.

What are your thoughts on the XTSL for a newborn? I'm fine if you say it's horrible, I have not researched, am not pregnant yet and am just trying to figure out options :)

We *may* replace the matrix with a van, but can't do both.

I'm not worried about the logistics of not having a bucket seat for shopping/restaurants/cold weather. I hated carrying them and used a baby carrier 99% of the time with the first two. I want to know if it's safe. My oldest was 24lbs at 4 months and moved to a convertible at 6. My youngest was in the car accident at 7 (he was fine) and so we just bought a convertible at that point too.

Thank you!!!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum - its hard to see on my phone.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's perfectly safe, and the Radian generally fits newborns well. Getting it to the newborn angle in a small car will be your challenge.

Wendy

KatieMB

wendytthomas said:
It's perfectly safe, and the Radian generally fits newborns well. Getting it to the newborn angle in a small car will be your challenge.

Wendy

I'm good there - DH doesn't ride in my car so the passenger seat can be all the way forward. Thanks!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would try rf radian with angle adjuster, maestro, rf radian. Maybe that would work in your car. I don't know but worth a try.

Laurelz

I used a radian 80 obviously with insets for our youngest. He was a month old when I decided to get rid of the bucket. :) it worked great! I loved it for him! I would use an Radian for a baby again. I have pictures at home if you want I can post them.

scoutingbear

We used a radian from about 1 month of age with my youngest. Another seat (that you would have to replace in 18 months to 2 years after baby) that you might want to look at is the coccoro. It is a tiny seat and fits newborns well. My daughter did not fit into her radian until about a month (no torso) but fit wonderfully in her CCO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC