How vocal are you about car seat safety to people you don't know?

jkrkmama

I was in the grocery parking lot and saw a mom with two seats FF for kids barely 18 mos, both outboard. In the middle was her unboostered kid, who prob was not more than 5. I had no idea how to bring up the topic, as I am not a tech, but I have been thinking about them all morning.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I very rarely say things. I usually try and scope the people out; I have a good sense of people who are going to be receptive and those who will just blow it off. I've helped people while shopping for carseats and approached one woman at the gas station who said the one year old in a seatbelt was fine (this was after she asked me to help her pump the gas amd I noticed the little guy back there). You do have to be really careful with how you approach things.

FFing at 18 months is VERY common, so I probably wouldn't interrupt a mom who is trying to get through doing her errand running. She'd probably blow it off. :eek:

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Never.

The most I'll do is, if I have the time, let people in the car seat aisle know I'm a tech in case they have any questions--and people usually take me up on it.

I never offer unsolicited advice to strangers, though.

maddysmomma

I usually try not to say anything. I've noticed situations that were very unsafe when I was working in daycare, we would just call the police. However, I see ALOT of carseat misuse on my acquaintances' FB pages. Tangled straps, 2 y/o in a booster, belts behind the child, etc. I really have to stop myself from saying something because I know it would just end up in a fight.

Syllieann

If it's a complete stranger that seems to be otherwise very conscientous I might mention it or if it's a complete stranger that is failing to meet legal mins I will usually say something unless their general mannerisms suggest that engaging them may be dangerous. I once walked away from a ff bucket in front seat because the parents looked too scary.:eek:

Kaitsmom

I leave USAA books on peoples cars once they walk away, but unless I see something truely unsafe I dont say anything. Even if its really unsafe, kids without seats, 5 kids in the back seat ect I just writd down the plate and call the police. I did say something to a lady once with a very old looking, she said it was about 10 yrs old, OHS seat in her car, and a old Cosco HBB, which turned out to be for her 3 yr old grand daughter. She was really nice and horrified that she was endangering her kids. Other then in the car seat asile when people are looking at the GN or a Chase for their kids still in buckets I dont say anything usually.

amelia222

The most I usually do is offer help to people in the carseat section in the store. There have been a few times I have approached parents but they are for horrible misuse. Like the 6 month old hanging half out if the bucket seat on the top of the grocery cart with straps in the bottom slot and only the chest clip done :eek: And even with that I just told them they might want to do up the crotch buckle and check the manual for the correct slots etc.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It depends. I wouldn't bug someone with a FF toddler.

I did mention to a woman with whom I was riding in an elevator that her baby's straps were too loose and the chest clip should be moved. Actually, I started out by simply fawning over the baby to see how receptive she was to talking to a total stranger about her child. Once it became clear that she was happy to talk to me at all, I mentioned I was a car seat tech and that, while it was perfectly fine strolling around in the mall, I hoped she would tighten the straps up a bit before she got back into the car. That led to questions about chest clip placement and it turns out the mom was also worried that she didn't really know how tight the straps should be (so I got to demonstrate the pinch test for her) and she said she was having trouble tightening it up over the fleece suit... so we got to have a whole conversation about how to safely keep a LO warm in the car seat and so on, and she seemed really appreciative and left knowing more than she did before we crossed paths.

Basically, I won't approach strangers with an "I ran you down so I could criticize your car seat usage" situation, but if I have an opportunity to bring something up, I will do so as long as the parent appears receptive. I also hand out my card which has the URL for the local calendar of check-up events (as well as my email address).

atw

**not a tech, but we've mentioned to friends to tighten up harness, etc. Weve usually been shrugged off. If one you saw me and were concerned about our seat use, I'd be thrilled if you said something, but you'd probably realize that seeing our 2.5 year old rf. :)

hedgefun

I leave USAA books on peoples cars once they walk away, but unless I see something truely unsafe I dont say anything. Even if its really unsafe, kids without seats, 5 kids in the back seat ect I just writd down the plate and call the police.

:yeahthat:

And as far as Facebook goes, I normally won't say anything because I don't want to start a war. The only exception has been when I saw someone post a pic of her child (and you could tell the car was in motion on the hwy) with only the crotch strap done and the rest of the harness behind him. Sometimes I will post general information in hopes that people will see it.

I have one friend I have said stuff to (like chest clip, harness straps in wrong slot, etc.), but I know she is super receptive to car seat advice.

cupcakepirate11

I usually let it go but got up the courage to tell one family not to put the chicco keyfit on top of the grocery cart One bump and that things on the floor! It isn't like the graco which can atleast quasi clip on

Anne

I don't approach people just randomly. If I have time and I see someone on the car seat aisle, I will approach and tell them I am a tech and they can ask me if they have any questions. Usually they take me up on it, if they don't, I don't say anything else.

We think about car seats all the time because, well, it's what we do. But most people don't nor do they want to. Unsolicited advice is rarely taken well even from friends, let alone perfect strangers. The chances you'll suddenly convert someone to better car seat practice when it's out of the blue and unasked for is probably pretty slim. If they already have their mind on car seats and it's what they're dealing with at the moment, they're more likely to listen.

thepote

When I was first getting into cps I would run my mouth at a lot of (in hindsight) inappropriate times. I just felt like I wanted to tell the world all this really important information that they obviously needed to hear :rolleyes:

Yeah, now I keep my mouth shut. I think its rude and embarrassing to cps advocates when people approach strangers about their usage. It may turn out OK, but more often it gives cps advocates a bad reputation. If you must, just leave a brochure!

Phineasmama

Just a couple weeks ago I was driving behind a car leaving the target parking lot, 4 adults and 2 children probably under the age of 3 sitting on laps- in a tiny little tin can Hyundai no less :(

I called 911, and I did follow them but mostly because they were going exactly my way home. They pulled into a grocery store near my house, I let the 911 operator know where they were parking and she said officers were already on their way so I left. I hope they got caught.

I will sometimes offer strangers advice in the car seat aisle especially if they're looking super confused or eyeing that high back booster for their 2 year old :rolleyes: But in general I try to stay out of the way.

honeydew

I keep my unsolicited advice to myself, unless I'm talking to my sister or Madeleine's (nanny kid) mom.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC