Eenie, Meanie, Minie, Radian!

twinmama92210

So I know we are going to get RN's for our twins, I just can't decide which one I want... They are almost 17 months and if we have more children it will be in the next couple years so I will have to get another RN for them when the time comes. My kids are on the skinny side so I'm thinking just go with the R100's because the infant padding will be useless, right? But I really, really like the Plum for my dd. :love: But I'm not sure about the head wings. We currently have Tribute's and had to remove the extra butt/back cushion pillow and the head pillow because they didn't like them, so I'm worried they won't like the head wings either. We are planning to ERF and they like to be able to see each other... Decisions, decisions, decisions... :eek:

Anyone have a couple different ones and prefer one over the other?

Last edited:
ADS

KaiLing

I like head wings for sleeping, if that helps.

You could always get one with head wings and one without? Or one with 40 lbs RF limit and one with 45 lbs RF limit?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I had an 80SL and now I have an RXT (the head wings), and I don't really have a preference. I :love: Radians either way.

Brianna

Are they outgrowing the Tributes by height or weight? They must have really long torsos to outgrow by height already! If that's the case, I wouldn't get the headwings because you effectively lose height with the headwings.

If you follow their growth curve, where does it appear they would hit 40 or 45 pounds? Growth charts aren't perfect but they can give you a rough estimate.

twinmama92210

They didn't like the pillow pieces in the Tribute's and I had to remove them so I'm thinking they won't like the head wings either. They are outgrowing by height. My ds stays around 25-50% on the growth chart for weight, dd is all over the place, currently sitting below the 5th percentile for weight. I'm not sure how to tell if they have long torso's or not. It's more ds outgrowing than dd but they fight if they don't have the same thing so we will have to get the same seat for each. Where can I find a growth curve chart? Mine are definitely big car seat sleepers, especially ds.

twinmama92210

Found a chart, looks like he will be around 4 or 5 if following the 25-50% and hitting 40lbs. She will be around 7 or 8 if she keeps following the 5% or so area.

twinmama92210

At least I'm thinking they are outgrowing the Tribute's... I measured ds's head height and he has a couple inches left before being at the 1" below limit. Also the strap adjuster thing in the front is almost out of slack. Then in the back there is a a strap section for RF and one for FF. Why is that? If I could use the FF section of strap we could get more use out of the Tribute's.

laccaycol

I just ordered 2 plum Radians for my twins and i am dying for them to get here. Shipping said will be about 2-4 weeks :eek: I cant wait that long its already been a week and im going nuts. at $247 and free shipping i say its better to wait but man its hard lol.

twinmama92210

I'm thinking I will just have to get covers separately if I want colored because my kids can't stand things around their head, like in your picture, my twins would be ticked off!

Brianna

Here's how to measure when the seat will be outgrown http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 If he has a few inches before he reaches that, it'll take a while for it to actually be outgrown- months and possibly a year or more depending on growth spurts. I'm trying to picture what strap you're talking about. Are you talking about the two different loops on the harness where you attach it to the splitter plate? You may use the bottom loop at your childrens' size.

twinmama92210

Yes that's the strap I was talking about. My son seems to grow between a half inch to an inch per month so I'm thinking a few months which will give us time to start saving $ once I decide which seats to get. In the instruction manual it says the bottom section is to be used for FF only, which is why I thought we needed to get a seat sooner.

Brianna

My Tribute manual says
There are two positions
on the harness straps.
The top loop E is for
infant use. The bottom
loop F is for use as
your child grows.
Which is the same as what the manual linked here says http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=150679
There's nothing wrong with saving or ordering new seats now, I was just trying to determine how long their torsos are and if they would outgrow the Radians first by height or weight.

Brianna

That seems off. Torso height is measured from bum to shoulder- try getting them to sit straight up cross-legged against a wall. Either way though, I think you'll be fine with the R100.

twinmama92210

What about the older RN's? I have found them for about the same price as the R120's? Did the R120's replace the 80sl? I really like that primrose cover :love:

Brianna

They haven't been made in a few months now, so you're looking at an older DOM and slightly less usable life. If you're ok with that, they're still fine to buy and use.

twinmama92210

I just looked at the size comparison thing on here and it says the diono version has a 4" higher height limit, since I have a feeling my kids will be tall like dh I better go with those.

Brianna

The Diono ones will last slightly longer by height rear facing.

Forward facing, Diono Radian's height limit is 57 inches, but the child's ears must not be above the top of the shell.
The Sunshine Kids Radian's height limit is 53 inches, but with the same restriction- ears must not be above the top of the shell.

Radians are the only seats that allow for use when the child's shoulders are above the top harness slots. For this reason, some people do not feel comfortable using the Radian to its stated height limit, they don't want their children's shoulders above the top harness slot.

Whether or not you'll get more use forward facing out of the Diono than the SK version depends on how comfortable you feel going above top harness slots, and if your children carry their height in their legs or torso. Your children's ears could go above the top of the shell before they reach the stated height limit of either seat.

twinmama92210

I believe their height is in their legs. Plus I can get the R100 or the R120 for cheaper than the 80sl and the 80sl will most likely be at least a year old when I would receive it. Now I just need to find where I can order that plum cover :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC