OMG, I finally decided for DS2 (I think).

purplemama

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a MA70. I'll install DD's (got it yesterday) FF for him to double check, but in the house he still has 3 clicks up to go. So it should last him awhile yet.
I was having a terrible time deciding what to get. A convertible to pass down or a combo to continue using. Wasn't sure I'd want a combo to use as a booster so I was really unsure about that.
Then, just now, I remembered that our MA65 expires in two years!!!! I'll need a seat to replace that for DD in DH's car then. Perfect!! I'll get a MA70 now for DS2 to FF in and when he outgrows it/is booster ready then I'll pass it down to DD!

This is a huge deal for me to have realized this. I have been a mental wreck over this, to the point of not sleeping and crying over it (can anyone say overly emotional pregnant woman?). I feel so much better now to have a clear plan. It may not work out like I want in the future but for now I can plan on that and I feel better and hopefully can relax like I REALLY need to. :D (And it makes it easier to get DH to agree)

ADS

purplemama

UGH. Never mind. I don't like it too much for FF once installed. That headrest thing is kinda weird. Sticks up too high IMO. Honestly, I'm not sure I even like it for DD for RF. It was hard to get upright enough with my fairly flat seats. I'm thinking maybe a Blvd70, I like the headrest/wings better on that one. But I'm thinking I'd have the same reclined problem.
Holy crap, this indecision SUCKS.

gigi

Try out the Peg Perego convertible if you are near a buy buy baby. It seemed very similar to the Britax to me but it accommodated a much larger kid both RF and FF. My almost 5 year old thought it was super comfy, whereas he is very very close to outgrowing his EFTA FF by height.

purplemama

Try out the Peg Perego convertible if you are near a buy buy baby. It seemed very similar to the Britax to me but it accommodated a much larger kid both RF and FF. My almost 5 year old thought it was super comfy, whereas he is very very close to outgrowing his EFTA FF by height.

I was just there on Tues. and they didn't have it. :(

purplemama

Why not a FR85? We love ours :)

Yep, that's back in consideration. I think I might head to BRU this weekend to try it out in my van. Hoping for no head slump, but my seatbacks are pretty upright.

I was just hoping to get a convertible for him that I could pass down. I guess I'll just have to plan on a combo I can pass down.

momtoo3

I agree that the headrest does stick up a little high FF but the MA70 is still my favorite seat for ds3. I took him to BRU last week to try the FR85 and I think he will be getting one in the fall. Here is a thread with a picture of him in it. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=213603. There were definitely not going to be head slump issues with it and my seats are pretty upright. Just remember when you try it that you need to flip the recline block underneath to the front whe used in harnessed mode. It gives the recline needed to prevent head slump and is required.

purplemama

I agree that the headrest does stick up a little high FF but the MA70 is still my favorite seat for ds3. I took him to BRU last week to try the FR85 and I think he will be getting one in the fall. Here is a thread with a picture of him in it. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=213603. There were definitely not going to be head slump issues with it and my seats are pretty upright. Just remember when you try it that you need to flip the recline block underneath to the front whe used in harnessed mode. It gives the recline needed to prevent head slump and is required.

Hmmmm, maybe we will give the MA70 a chance for FF. DS2 didn't seem to like it much but he was in a hurry to get back inside to Sid the Science Kid. It sure as heck was more upright than the MR, that's for sure.

I did play with the FR85 on Tues at BRU but I didn't install (I wasn't feeling well) and I did like it. Just thinking that maybe a convertible has more worth as a pass down than a combo. I have tiny kids (watch this one be huge, LOL) and convertibles just seem like a better option to have around, KWIM.

Oh yeah, I know about the recline block. I read the manual several times and gotta say, the long belt path made my head spin.

momtoo3

Hmmmm, maybe we will give the MA70 a chance for FF. DS2 didn't seem to like it much but he was in a hurry to get back inside to Sid the Science Kid. It sure as heck was more upright than the MR, that's for sure.

I did play with the FR85 on Tues at BRU but I didn't install (I wasn't feeling well) and I did like it. Just thinking that maybe a convertible has more worth as a pass down than a combo. I have tiny kids (watch this one be huge, LOL) and convertibles just seem like a better option to have around, KWIM.

Oh yeah, I know about the recline block. I read the manual several times and gotta say, the long belt path made my head spin.

I really do love the MA70 FF. Not sure if you can see siggies and I don't know your ds's stats but my siggy has ds3 in the MA70 FF. It is in the recline position for FF (so position 2) and there is no head slump but he is not as reclined as he is in the MR in dh's car. The only reason we are going to get a FR85 is my sister is pregnant and wants my MA70 when her baby goes out of the infant seat. It is also hard for ds3 to climb into because he is tiny. I offered it as a Christmas present next Christmas and she happily agreed. I may just back out though and give her the MR instead if ds1 can 5 step in dh's car. I just need the MR for the 3 across with 2 boosters. So yeah, I liked the FR85 but love the MA70. It is awesome in position 2 with no head slump.

purplemama

I really do love the MA70 FF. Not sure if you can see siggies and I don't know your ds's stats but my siggy has ds3 in the MA70 FF. It is in the recline position for FF (so position 2) and there is no head slump but he is not as reclined as he is in the MR in dh's car. The only reason we are going to get a FR85 is my sister is pregnant and wants my MA70 when her baby goes out of the infant seat. It is also hard for ds3 to climb into because he is tiny. I offered it as a Christmas present next Christmas and she happily agreed. I may just back out though and give her the MR instead if ds1 can 5 step in dh's car. I just need the MR for the 3 across with 2 boosters. So yeah, I liked the FR85 but love the MA70. It is awesome in position 2 with no head slump.

I only tried it in the most upright, maybe later tonight I'll try it in #2. It's just hard to do installs right now, I'm 32 weeks and if I do too much I get really painful BH. I NEED to get this car seat situation figured out soon before I run out of time!!
My DS2 stats are 41.5 inches tall, 14 inch torso, and about 32-34 lbs. He's a skinny little thing.

Thanks for being so helpful :).

momtoo3

If it helps at all I just weighed and measured ds3. He was 30 pounds with sweatpants and a t shirt, 37 inches and a 13 inch torso. So similarly proportioned in comparision to your ds but just a little smaller.

Also if you have LATCH the MA70 is the easiest FF install ever in all of the vehicles I have tried it in. I'm sure installing seats that pregnant is not fun. In my van the MA70 is much easier than the FR85.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I hate the look of the 'headrest' on the MA70. And I'm not wild about the wings on the BV either. I'm still considering the RA55 for DD for when she goes FF. I need a seat up on a base that will play with the boys seats. I've fallen in love with this one...

britax-roundabout-55-32-31b-l.jpg

melniemi

Your lil guy is about the same size as my 5 yo. I love the bv70 ffing for her. Ds3 is rfing in it now, love it for that too, and dd is in a fr85. I like her better in the bv, especially when she falls asleep, fr isn't bad, she just has a ways to be able to reach her head on the sides.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC