Am I being over-protective?

PlacentaMama

DS is 8 1/2, 55 lbs, 4' 5". We are in Cali & if Im understanding the new law right he has to be 49" before he can ride w/out a booster, right? But is it overkill to have him in a highjack booster, rather than a backless one?

Last edited:
ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, you are not being over protective. You are doing your job as a parent to keep your child as safe as possible. Way to go! :)

I'm not sure of the new California law, but as long as you have a headrest in his seating position, a no back booster is an appropriate choice for him. Once he does surpass what the law specifies, he needs to be in a booster until he can pass the five step test.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Kac

If he struggles with sitting in place, a high back booster might be a better bet because the shoulder guides will keep the belt in position, and with the sides, it doesn't allow as much wiggle room.

Not ridiculous at all when the leading cause of death in children are car accidents. I'd rather be considered over-protective or any other name than risk losing a child in a crash. :twocents:

mommyfrog

Is it 49 inches or 4 foot 9 inches? 4'9" is the guideline of when most kids would fit the seat belt without a booster.

PlacentaMama

Is it 49 inches or 4 foot 9 inches? 4'9" is the guideline of when most kids would fit the seat belt without a booster.

He's 45".

ETA: Wait...now that I've had coffee, I think he's actually 4' 5" since his older brother is tall enough for seat belt only & he's just a few inches shorter.

PlacentaMama

If he struggles with sitting in place, a high back booster might be a better bet because the shoulder guides will keep the belt in position, and with the sides, it doesn't allow as much wiggle room.

Not ridiculous at all when the leading cause of death in children are car accidents. I'd rather be considered over-protective or any other name than risk losing a child in a crash. :twocents:

I think I'm going to insist on the highback booster. Just makes sense & unfortunately we've been rear-ended at a complete stop at stop-signs TWICE within the past 2 years! Injuries would have been much worse had my then 5-year-old not been in a 5-point-harness & my older 2 in highback boosters!

christineka

I believe the high back booster to be safer than backless, so I keep my kids in hbbs as long as possible or until age 12. So far, the oldest moved to a backless at 12 and not because she'd outgrown the hbb either.

My kids, however are short. Make sure your ds fits in the hbb. The belt guide must be above his shoulder.

Brianna

I think I'm going to insist on the highback booster. Just makes sense & unfortunately we've been rear-ended at a complete stop at stop-signs TWICE within the past 2 years! Injuries would have been much worse had my then 5-year-old not been in a 5-point-harness & my older 2 in highback boosters!

Have you replaced the seats that were in the vehicle?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
PlacentaMama said:
DS is 8 1/2, 55 lbs, 4' 5". We are in Cali & if Im understanding the new law right he has to be 49" before he can ride w/out a booster, right? But is it overkill to have him in a highjack booster, rather than a backless one?

At 8 years old, he can legally ride without a booster, but ONLY if the belt fits properly. In fact, even at 4'9", the belt has to fit properly to be legal. It's fine print in the law, but it's there.

"Proper fit" means that the lap belt sits low on the hips and the shoulder belt crosses the middle of the shoulder.

It's not until age 10 that 51% of kids it properly without a booster.

I prefer a high-back as long as the child fits, but a backless is fine, too, as long as there is head support and it positions the belt correctly.

Carrie_R

My 9.5 yo charge rides in a hbb, so no, I don't think it's overkill. I would be comfortable with your son in a backless sometimes - like for a ride with friends - but if he's anything like my charges, the sides are helpful for longer rides (esp if they are car sleepers.) This allows them to lean back and relax! It also serves as an excellent physical reminder to help them stay in position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC