Question Stay in Nautilus or move to Cybex X-Fit?

Green Mama

Hello,

I'm looking to get some feedback about whether to keep my 6 yo daughter (slim 46" and 46 lbs) in a Graco Nautilus or move her to a Cybex X-Fit booster. We recently got a new car and in the process realized my 3 yo was close to the limits on his Roundabouts, so we need to move him into his sister's car seats (Nautilus and Britax Boulevard).

I'm planning to get an X-Fit to replace her Boulevard, since she's pretty close to the height limit, and was thinking about getting another X-Fit for the other car. But then I realized she still has 6" more in which she could use the 5-pt harness in the Nautilus. Should I keep her in the Nautilus in one car and have a new X-Fit in the other, or just keep it consistent and move her into the X-fit in both cars? I've always tried to keep my kids in the safest option for their age/size, so I don't want to give up the 5-point harness any sooner than necessary (though I know *she* would prefer the booster in both cars!). Any thoughts??

Thank you!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At six, provided she sits properly, a booster seat is an appropriate choice.

However, seats are outgrown when the shoulders go above the top slots or the tops of the ears go above the top of the shell. At least by height. Her shoulders are still below the Boulevard's highest position? Six inches of torso growth in the Nautilus would equal about six years. Overall height doesn't matter. Check both of their shoulders. It's not at all uncommon for three year olds to have outgrown the little Roundabouts, and for six year olds to have outgrown Boulevards. You'll find this information in the manuals that came with the seats, or in the manuals online. If they have been outgrown by torso height, a booster is far safer than an outgrown seat.

Wendy

Green Mama

Thanks, Wendy! I was focusing on her overall height and forgot that it's the torso length that really matters. I measured her in the Nautilus tonight, and her shoulders are just barely above the top slots. (I didn't even measure her in the Boulevard, because I know it's time for her to be out of that seat.) So even though she's several inches shorter than the supposed height limit, in reality she's outgrown the Nautilus too. I guess we'll be getting two Cybex X-Fits for her! :) Thanks again for your quick and helpful response.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Boulevard and Nautilus have a two inch difference in top slot height. Are you sure the Nautilus's headrest is up and you're on the highest slot? It could be the differences in cars, but that's a HUGE change.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The X-Fix is not a super tall booster. If a 46" 6yo has truly outgrown the Nautilus by height, she has an extremely long torso and a different booster might be a better choice because she'll only have an inch or so of growing room in the X-Fix.

skylinphoto

I agree that a child that has outgrown the nautilus isn't gonna have room to grow in the cybex. Its a super short booster.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

henrietta

I agree that a child that has outgrown the nautilus isn't gonna have room to grow in the cybex. Its a super short booster.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

We also have Cybex booster...and if she's outgrown the harness on the GN, she's just about out of the Cybex. My son is 45" tall and fairly average now torso wise, but not short torsoed. He has some time to grow, but I'm not sure your dd would.

I also agree that you need to check and make sure the headrest is up all the way on the Nautilus. Most 46" tall 6 yr olds won't have outgrown the top harness setting on the GN, unless they are long torsoed.

hths

henrietta

Green Mama

Thank you for all the replies. (For some reason I didn't see them until just recently.) You're right that I didn't have the headrest up all the way when I measured my daughter in the Nautilus. But, as of yesterday, she's just about at the top slot of the harness. Even though she has plenty of room to grow in terms of the headrest, she doesn't seem to have much room in terms of the harness. I guess I could use the Nautilus as a booster once her shoulders get over that top slot, but I'm more inclined to get her a new booster and pass the Nautilus onto my son. If the X-Fit isn't a great option if she's already at the top slots of the Nautilus, are there any other boosters you'd recommend that you think would be a better fit?

Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Recaro ProBooster, Diono Monterey, Britax Parkway SG, Clek Oobr, and Graco Turbobooster.

Wendy

henrietta

My son is about the same size, although he's slightly long torsoed. He's 6 yrs 9 mos, 46" tall, and 44 lbs. He loves the Cybex booster, but I am pretty sure he's on the top-most position. He probably has another year or so in it. He doesn't have that much more room in a Graco Turbo booster. I'd reckon if he were in a Nautilus w/the harness, he'd be coming up on outgrowing it by height.

The Cybex makes a great booster for thin, smaller kiddos. I don't know if I'd spend the current prices on it when you can get a Recaro Vivo, Recaro Prosport, Britax Parkway, etc, for so much less. But if it's the Cybex you really want for now and you have the money to spend, you can always hand it down later. I'd try her out in the Graco Turbo booster though--if she doesn't have much growing room in it, she won't have any more in the Cybex.

hths

henrietta

Green Mama

Thanks, Wendy. I will check those out. Is the Britax Parkway SGL the same as the SG but with LATCH anchors? I'd definitely prefer one with LATCH connectors since it seems so much safer.

Green Mama

And thank you for all the other replies as well! It's so helpful to have this website as a resource. Cost is definitely a consideration in buying these new car seats, so if dd wouldn't have a whole lot of room to grow in the X-Fit, I would much rather get something else. Based on my initial research, it seemed to be one of the safest boosters and one of only a few with the LATCH anchors. But as I'm looking more now, I'm finding that others have that feature too. By the way, we have an '06 Honda CRV and '11 Hyundai Elantra, if anyone has any feedback about which of the suggested boosters would or would not fit well in our cars. Thanks!!

Green Mama

The Diono Monterey seems to have the features I'm looking for (good side impact protection, LATCH connectors, and a cup holder :)) and at a reasonable price. But I've read that a number of people have had problems in recent months with the seat belt bunching up in or coming out of the seat belt guide. Has anyone heard any recent updates about this problem? Seems a shame to have an otherwise excellent booster seat with a seat belt that isn't positioned properly.

Even though it's way above my budget, I started looking at the Clek Oobr, which most people rave about and it seems to have good safety ratings. But the frame of the seat doesn't look as protective as the Monterey or others. Does anyone have an opinion about its safety ratings/record? I also read a review that said a 7 yo was too big for this seat. Since my dd is 6.7 years (and slim with apparently a long torso (see above!)), I'd certainly want to get a lot of use out of this seat for what it costs. How much room would she have to grow in the Oobr? Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC