To booster or not to booster.

NannyMom

Why is it so hard? "Every step is a step down in safety". NHTSA (or is it AAP? I don't remember) says children 4-7 should be in a harness. We've "always" said 4 AND 40 is a minimum for boosters. And we say, some 5 year olds have the booster maturity and if they do they are safe in a booster. Swedes go straight from RF to a booster at age 5 because they feel it's safer than 5pt harness FF. WHY is this so hard? Can I just bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm one of those parents that doesn't know all this stuff?

I have a booster for LK in my van. Sofi's been REALLY wanting to use it. I admit to letting her use it for a few short drives to school (less than 5 mins up the road). We couldn't buckle the Cybex next to the Maestro, so I took the Maestro out (expecting the new RXT, which ended up being a floor model I won't use). But DH has been doing most of the driving of Sofi in his car, so it doesn't matter. There was a fight between LK and Sofi yesterday about who was riding in the Cybex and who was riding 3rd row in the FR85 (both wanted the Cybex).

Part of me wants to just go ahead and let Sofi use a booster in the van, unless we're going on a REALLY long ride (2+ hr drive this saturday). But then part of me screams SHE's NOT 40 POUNDS YET!!!! :eek: :dizzy::dizzy:

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
At the rate my ds is growing, he will be 7 before he's 40lbs. He's the kind of kid 30lbs minimums were designed for. He'll be 5 in May and is barely 31lbs. I would be SHOCKED if he were 40lbs by 7. I'm not making him wait until he's 7 to ride in a booster.

At your dd's age/size, I would have no issue with her having a booster for p/t use. JMHO.

christineka

My dd is 7 and almost 40 pounds. I'd have no problems at all putting her in a booster full time, except that it's a pain and she has a hard time buckling. I let her ride in the booster in any other vehicle.

My just turned 5 year old sits great in the booster, but I feel he is too young for full time and again, he can't buckle himself and boosters are an extra pain, so he rides in the booster on occasion.

I like age 6 as a minimum for full-time use, regardless of weight as long as the child meets the minimums of the seat.

creideamh

Honestly? I'm with the Swedes on the RF to booster dealio (although I also understand the Euro shield boosters, i.e. Kiddy.) At Sofi's age, I too would be just fine with p/t boostering her. Is it REALLY a step down if she fits the belt properly and stays in place so the seatbelt protects in all the right spots? I really doubt it.
S could still RF in the Radians (tiny little thing, torso size of most 3-4 y/os and she's 6.5), but she's one of those rare, mature kids who stays in place no matter what. I have no qualms whatsoever with her riding in a booster full-time.

ElfJewel

Jamie will be 6 next month, and is only 37 lbs. She has been 34-36 lbs for 2 years. She is in a harness with me (RF or FF) and in a booster with everyone else (sometimes with me too). She sits better than K does and I don't worry about her as long as the belt fits.

skylinphoto

Cybex has a min weight of 33lbs I believe.
My 36-37lb 5.5 yr old rides in his cybex booster full time and does fantastic.
:)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Swedes have no proof that harnessing is NOT safer, though. Every year that passes, we have more and more kids harnessed longer, and the death rate goes down in this country, so where's the evidence that harnessing is unsafe? Boostering is 'safe enough' for kids 5 and over, but it's still possible we'll find out that harnessing kids older is safEST. We are waiting on the data, and Sweden isn't doing much to prove or disprove their theory.
Anyway, for Sofi, a booster is probably a very safe choice if the belts fit and she sits properly. Leah's back and forth between a backless and a harness these days, depending on who else is in the car and what she's wearing.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
joolsplus3 said:
...and Sweden isn't doing much to prove or disprove their theory...

But with a death rate as low as theirs is, (something absurdly low, like 7 kids in 5 years, right?) is the burden really on them to "prove" the merits of their system via study? IMO, while it may not be superior, I think that rate prices that their system isn't "broken," at least. (Of course, there are other factors, so I suppose it's as much about their system as a whole as it is their restraint choices.)

Anyways, regarding Sofi, in my vehicle I probably would not opt to booster her. I personally feel that on kids of slight build, giving their petite skeletons more time to develop/harden can only be a benefit to them. I am not against early boostering in every situation - I booster trained a charge just after his fourth birthday for family reasons - but in the cases of these petite kiddos, it does give me pause. (A friend's little girl is about 35 lbs and will be six next month... When baby bro outgrows his SR he'll need her RN and I am conflicted about what to recommend for just this reason. It makes me shudder to think of her tiny frame being protected by only the seatbelt. I just feel like there's almost not enough to her hips to prevent submarining.)

All of that said, despite the fact that I would choose a harness, I don't think it's necessary neglectful to put her in a booster. If it fits her well and she meets the minimums, she's probably ok.

Baylor

I think their success rate has less to do with the hwh vs booster debate as it does rear facing til 5.

auto correct hates me

Brianna

But with a death rate as low as theirs is, (something absurdly low, like 7 kids in 5 years, right?)

The US and Canada would have lower deaths per year if the populations were as small as Sweden too. I think it would be more fair to compare child deaths in vehicle crashes as a percentage of the child population of each country, rather than as a gross number. The population of Sweden is a fraction of the US, here is a graph comparing the 3 countries

christineka

The US and Canada would have lower deaths per year if the populations were as small as Sweden too. I think it would be more fair to compare child deaths in vehicle crashes as a percentage of the child population of each country, rather than as a gross number. The population of Sweden is a fraction of the US, here is a graph comparing the 3 countries

Yes. They also have much stricter laws for drivers. It's more difficult to get a driver's license and they are very serious about infractions such as dui.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, hence this statement...

Carrie_R said:
IMO, while it may not be superior, I think that rate prices that their system isn't "broken," at least. (Of course, there are other factors, so I suppose it's as much about their system as a whole as it is their restraint choices.)

Kac, you have a valid point about the numbers. However, although I don't have access to the figures at the moment, but I believe it is significantly lower, even %-wise. I will try to dig them up a bit later.

Lemonade

I have a kid in a similar situation. He's 6 and about 37# (naked) and 44". Still harnessed in the FR. He actually looks good in the SGL (yes, I know it's got a 40# minimum!). I tried him in the cybex but it just didn't look as good. He's overall well behaved, but a tad wiggly.
He's also rarely in the car because we walk him to school. So it's maybe only a handful of times a week. I know I need to 'let go' at some point, but I'm not sure when. He's so due for a growth spurt. He had grown 3lbs and 3 inches between 3 and 4, and 4 and 5, but only 1.5lbs and 1.5" between 5 and 6. So part of me is waiting for a spurt. Maybe in the spring?

NannyMom

Well, Sofi weighed in at 39.5 pounds today at the allergist. I'll weigh her at a friends house tomorrow to see if it holds up. I'd be surprised thought because in sept she was only 35!

Belle's Mamma

In 2007 he US had about 33x the population of Sweden (301.5 million in the US vs 9.1481 million in Sweden).

6,683 children between the ages of 0 and 19 died in the US in motor vehicle collisions.

By those figures, 203 children within that 0-19 cohort would die in motor vehicle collisions in that year to be on par with the US.

Is the Swedish MVC rate on par with the US childhood MVC rate? I don't know, I can't find it right now and I'm too tired to keep looking but it's a start. If anyone can find better stats particularly with the under 15 set (darn driver's licences) that would rock.

We don't have all of the data we need to draw definitive conclusions on harnessing vs boostering ( and don't I wish we did...esp. now that my 5 yo is close to ending her RFing "career") and probably never will.

finn

I thought most Swedes only rf until 4, then boostered full-time after that?

Ds was & has been 40lbs since he was 4. We started booster training him when he turned ff at 4. He is now 5 & rides in a booster full-time in everyones car & does brilliantly in it & he is a full on wiggly, must run everywhere kid. I think in some cases it's better to catch them & teach them when they're young, that way when they get older & more defiant the rules are all ready ingrained lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC