I'd like to know

dragonfly8

I'm putting together a list of costs per province and territory for car seat checks/inspections.

I'd like one tech from each province and territory (if they even exist) to let me know!

I am in Manitoba, and there are no costs to the parent/caregiver for a check to be done.

Or, is there a list somewhere? I've been so crazy busy lately with family stuff that maybe I've just missed it!

ADS

selinajean

I'm putting together a list of costs per province and territory for car seat checks/inspections.

I'd like one tech from each province and territory (if they even exist) to let me know!

I am in Manitoba, and there are no costs to the parent/caregiver for a check to be done.

Or, is there a list somewhere? I've been so crazy busy lately with family stuff that maybe I've just missed it!

Do all techs in Manitoba work under the same organization (which covers their costs) ?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm about.. -$5000 between checks and training, at this point. Really, provincial MSP should be covering this as Public Health and prevention. I do get free forms...umm..thanks to Washington State, mind you.

-Nicole.

selinajean

I'm about.. -$5000 between checks and training, at this point. Really, provincial MSP should be covering this as Public Health and prevention. I do get free forms...umm..thanks to Washington State, mind you.

-Nicole.

I'm not that far in the hole, but I am certainly out of pocket. I have received a gratuity of $20 once from foster parents that I helped out and I was in complete shock over that. One safety fair that I attended did cover my cost of travel and babysitter but all other fairs and presentations have been out of pocket for my presentation materials, print-outs, travel, day care, etc. I use some of the free bookmarks from ICBC but they tend to advertise the minimums so I am not a huge fan of them. I print my own checklists/forms and all other materials, business cards, etc.

I don't have a set fee that I advertise. A lot of the parents that ask for help can't afford to pay for that and I don't want their child to be put at risk over a few dollars. I tend to say that I don't have a set fee; that I am open to donations but my services will still be the same if the family can not afford to pay.

dragonfly8

I'm asking more or less, when you, as a crst, do a private check for someone do you , or are you required to accept payment or a donation?
In Manitoba, we do not and cannot accept anything.

QuassEE

Who says you cannot? Other professionals in other fields get compensation for their services, and this is no different...if you so choose.

-N.

Shanora

:yeahthat:

It depends on where someone gets my card from. If its from West Coast Kids, then I say my fee is $25. If its just passed down through word of mouth, I'll say I usually charge $25, but thats negotiable because my first concern is a safe child. :)
I've usually gotten $25, but I've done a few checks for nothing. I don't charge my friends, but they usually bring me Coffee :love:
If I'm working at an organized car seat clinic, then there is no cost to the parents and its volunteer for me.

ninejr

Technically on my doula website $25/seat is listed. I generally do it for free. The best was when a friend that knew my "fee" just brought me a $25 Starbucks card :). I think I should list that as a method of payment (cash, check, or Starbucks card).
I do volunteer checks and present to mommy groups at no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

melissainbc

At work we charge $5 a seat... I work at a high end children's consignment shop. We have gone up and down on the price in the past year trying to figure out what works best for people. Saying it's $5 usually prevents people from canceling last second and covers some of our supplies, too. Most of the time we don't even take payment, though.

I don't charge when I do checks on my own, which happens very infrequently. I have received gift cards as payment before and I love that!

snowbird25ca

I have a suggested fee of $25 for one seat/one vehicle when I do private checks. Most of the parents I help come to me through referral or else business cards from boutique style stores.

Public seat check events on the other hand are free of charge and everyone there are volunteers. I provide clipboards, pens, forms, and pool noodles for the technicians to use. Thankfully I have had free forms available for my use at the clinics I have done. I still have enough of them to get through probably another 2 or 3 clinics.

I am flexible with parents who may not be able to afford to pay to have a seat looked at privately. My first concern has always been - and will always be - the safety of the child. I would never turn someone away. I have done trades with parents in the past and that was something I was happy to do too.

Quite frequently people give me more than my suggested fee. Since I've started taking money for checks, I'm no longer in the negative for the amount of money/supplies/time off work that I have put out. I'm coming up to 5 years certified though and I'd say the first 2.5 years I paid to help parents - either through using vacation time, dh's vacation time, cost of supplies, travel, or other miscellaneous things. I don't begrudge any of the money I spent - but I also don't feel bad about accepting money when I'm providing a service privately.

Public checks are a different story though. I know some areas have non-profit organizations that parents are given the choice to donate to if they want. I have no issues with something off to the side provided a parent doesn't feel obligated to donate. IMO though, a public check should be free. What technicians do privately is between them and the parent.

bbartlettnfld

Here in St. John's our group Kids In Safe Seats, does seat checks free of charge. We do take donations though to cover costs. We do have some corporate sponsors who do our printing.

BethAnn

Chila88

I'm in SK and like MB we also cannot charge for checks. Tech's here do not have to pay to become certified (we are SJA certified), and in exchange we must do checks as a community service. I also do not pay for any of my own materials, for checks at clinics or that I do privately.

If I were to be caught charging for a seat check, I would lose my certification.

I really like the system here and enjoy the opportunity to volunteer in the community.

snowbird25ca

I'm in SK and like MB we also cannot charge for checks. Tech's here do not have to pay to become certified (we are SJA certified), and in exchange we must do checks as a community service. I also do not pay for any of my own materials, for checks at clinics or that I do privately.

If I were to be caught charging for a seat check, I would lose my certification.

I really like the system here and enjoy the opportunity to volunteer in the community.

I find this interesting that the provincial insurer would take away certification when it is issued based on demonstrated competency levels that another organization has set as minimums.

Not that it necessarily matters for you - but I find it interesting to say the least.

amyd

I'm in NB. We have no provincial overarching body and each tech is free to charge or not as they see fit when doing private checks. I am the (basically self-appointed) tech/clinic coordinator in my area and we do not charge at public clinics. Up to this point, we have a grant that has covered all our materials. We do also accept donations.

April

I usually charge $20 for private checks, unless its a friend. If I even suspect that the family has difficulty paying $20, I do it for free. I have no problem doing free checks, but often the private checks I do are for upper-middle class families with expensive seats, and when they ask how much, I have no problem charging $20 for my time. I'm less inclined to charge if someone comes to me and more inclined to charge if I go to them.

Public check events I've always done free except once when we were paid as a group and we all split the cash. (Iirc, someone had committed to run the event and specified their fee and then wasn't able to do it and so we covered for her and got the payment or something like that). I pay for my own business cards, noodles, latch manual, training, gas, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC