Sad news article :( Good example for ERF

CRS

Senior Community Member
My friend sent me a link to this article.. Firstly, I'll just say that here in my country, there isn't always the possibility or availability of seats that would have allowed these poor parents to ERF their daughter... but wow, WHAT a tragedy. I noticed the last sentence in the story :( http://www.stuff.co.nz/4144421a10.html It's so sad, I bet, had these parents known and had the seats available to them, they probably would have used them, sounds like she's on the road to recovery though!

ADS

Jordynsmama

That is a GREAT article. You never read about articles that end with a comment that educational and progressive. :thumbsup:That makes me realize how seriously important erf is. I am keeping that article for friends. Thank you!

Morganthe

What is "hooning- around" and "sunstrike"? Is it saying that the other driver was reckless and not following road rules?

Poor little tike. I hope her recovery goes well.

ThreeBeans

I imagine sunstrike is what we call 'glare'...you know, when you're momentarily blinded by the setting or rising sun?

What a sad story. Are there really counties in New Zealand that require a 2 year old to rear-face? That would be so cool! :thumbsup:

Melizerd

I thought that it meant sun glare too.

I figure hooning around is doing something else, like goofing around, talking on a phone or looking for a CD or something other then driving.

JessicaS

Thanks for that article. I posted it on another message board I'm on where most people are apathetic to ERFing. Hopefully this will change a couple people's minds.

Laurenc0101

What a sad story! But wow, what a final statement! I hope that precious little girl continues to do well on her road to recovery!

LimePink

Senior Community Member
What a sad story, but the fact that she is alive is truley a miracle. It's awesome they put that last bit in the article about ERF, I'll save this link. Finally have some 'proof' that it's safer. People I know just don't seem to think their kids' necks/spines can be hurt that bad.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This was posted on my local mommies board and because of it someone asked if extended rear facing meant past 1 and 20 and decided to turn her child back rear facing. :) Well, once she had the "official" stance from the AAP. I hate the AAP on so many levels, but on this we see eye to eye.

Wendy

EzzieMom

Poor little girl:(
I'm SO happy I know better now, before something like that happened to me/us. I had my younger DD FFing bc...well...just bc I could, I thought it was easier, more convient for me/her etc. etc.. But after finding out that it was better to keep her Rfing as long as possible I put her back to Rfing. And I'm so happy I did. Accidents happen all the time. You just never know when something like this could happen to you.
Thanks for posting this. Now I too have proof for all those family members/friends who think I'm a worry wart, over protective, being ridiculos, that it really is safer and I'm actually doing the right thing.

Suzibeck

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I've saved it in my favorites.

I wish our paper had had a good article when the family around here was hit head on in December. The mom and dad and ff 3 yo were all critically injured, the 3 yo with spinal cord injury, and the rf 9 mo was fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC