Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

A couple carseat questions

1) Do the seat covers from the SKJP Radians fit the Diono Radians?
    2) My 6 1/2 year old is 47" tall, weighs 42 lbs, seated shoulder hight of 15"; any carseat recommendations for her? Should I keep her in a 5-point-harness or would she be ok in a booster?
    3) My 8 1/2 year old is 4' 5" tall & weighs 54 lbs; should he be in a highjack booster or in a backless booster safe for him now?

We live in Cali if that makes a difference.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: A couple carseat questions

The SKJP covers don't quite fit the Diono seats. As I recall, they will work, but it won't be perfect, so if you're going to be OCD about the covers, don't do it.

A six year old is fine in a booster or harness, whichever you prefer, provided they sit properly. An 8.5 year old is fine in either a high back or backless, whichever you prefer, provided you have head support from the car for a backless. Do you need recommendations?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

CPS Fanatic
    The XTSL fits the R120 nicely. However the belt guides for the booster are useless.

Thank you both!
    Wendy~ Recommendations would be great!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

For the six year old I'd look at the Graco Turbobooster, Britax Parkway, Recaro ProBooster, Diono Monterey, and Clek Oobr.

For the eight year old I'd look at the Graco Turbobooster (backless), Evenflo Amp, Harmony Lite Rider/Cruz, Diono Sante Fe, and Clek Olli.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

7. Thank You from:

Thank you! I love the variety of price points. DH thinks I am way over-thinking the "car seat thing", but we've been rear-ended twice (at stop-signs, at a complete stop both times), the 2nd time the other driver was going 55 MPH & pushed us 20+ feet...we were all ok (whiplash), but yes, I am a bit cautious now!