Question Britax Frontier 85 in center seat of Prius?

U

Unregistered

I just got the Britax Frontier 85 but when I tried to install it in the center seat of my Prius, the harness straps would not move because they are pressed again the back of the car's seat. I can move it to an outboard seat but one perk of an only child is the ability to keep her in the center. I'm now wondering if I should get another seat instead. Maybe the Graco Nautilus? Or should I wait for the Argos, though that seems a long way off. Does anyone have a seat they recommend for the Prius to be able to keep my daughter in the middle?

Thanks so much.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Argos is out and in stock in many stores.

However, how often are you changing the harness height? It's usually every six months or a year or something. Not weekly or daily. Could you just unbuckle the seatbelt (since LATCH isn't allowed there) and reinstall on the rare instances you need to adjust the harness?

Wendy

Jessica61624

There should be a black piece that comes on the back of the frontier and encloses the harness. If you call Britax they'll send you one if your seat didn't come with it.

creideamh

What Jessica said. Does the Frontier fit tightly in the center? (Just curious, I've never tried, but the Frontier is huge and that center seat is tiny.)

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. I guess I wasn't clear enough though. It's not that I can't adjust the harness height - it's that I can't tighten or loosen the harness straps because they are so tight against the back of the seat of the car. The seat did come with that back piece but it doesn't cover the right part of the seat - the straps still press up against the back of the car's seat, hence making loosening and tightening close to impossible. We did actually get a good install other than that, and I really prefer having her in the center, but obviously I can't keep it there if I can't tighten my daughter into the seat. So I was just hoping someone with a Prius might be able to shed some light on whether another seat might work better there. Perhaps the Graco Nautilus?

dinah_kay

I am only posting because I just installed this seat into my Toyota Matrix (outboard still using latch.) These are probably very obvious things, but they were different things from how our marathon worked so I thought I would post them...the folding piece on the bottom is flipped forward right? The other thing that is different than the MA is that I have to push down on the button to lengthen the harness straps, and I think in my MA I had to pull up on a lever to lengthen. I know these are probably not your issues, but thought I would post them since they were just a couple of quirks that I found to be different than my MA when installing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC