Where would you draw the line?

hedgefun

When transporting other peoples' kids, where do you normally draw the line when the parents want their kid to FF and you are more comfortable with the child RF? For the sake of example, let's assume you're transporting the child in a routine, non-emergency situation.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find similar threads. But I could have deficient searching skills.

ADS

ElfJewel

2 years and meets the minimum for FF in the seat I have. I would prefer to RF longer but I won't push it after that.

bnsnyde

Good question. But I am not there yet. I have never driven anyone's kids.

To add to this, what happens when everyone in town stops using boosters on the 8th birthday? No way I'm driving anyone's kid without one. And no way can I put my kids in other cars without them.

Actually we have no room in the van with our current set up except for an adult, so maybe it's not an issue. :)

ElfJewel

If kids come in my car that are out of boosters with their parents but still need one, they get a backless booster with me (or possibly hbb depending on what is available and what they fit in, but the law here is 6 so some of them should be in hbb still). Even if they argue.

christineka

At the age of 2 I'd probably not rearrange my seats- whichever way they are. If I have a rfing seat the child fits in, then I'd go with rfing, but if I don't and instead have a ffing seat the child can fit in without needing to uninstall, then I'd choose ffing.

As for boosters, the kid must pass the 5 step test to be out. (Tomorrow for a cub scout outing I'll be outfitting my van with headrests and boosters.)

momtoo3

I try to stick to at least age 2 to RF for the kids I watch. Then I will do whatever the parents want if they care. The 2 yr old boy I watch has been FF in my van since 18 months because his mom insisted no matter what I told her. He was FF in her van since 9 months :mad:. The 18 month old I watch is RF in my van but FF with his parents in poorly installed seats. His 3 yr old sister is FF in my van but in a backless booster with the shoulder belt behind her in their vehicles :mad:. They don't want to hear why their kids aren't safe. I just do what I can to make them safe in my van.

Dmcj13

I WILL NOT transport a child under the age of three in one of my vehicle's unless they have outgrown the Radian rear facing, and honestly I have never met a 3 yo that big.

monstah

Depends on the parents wishes. If I'm driving someone else's kid around, it naturally leads to "I'm a CPST and this is what I would be most comfortable with." If they ask me why, I give them a quick "It's safer because XYZ so if it's OK with you, this is the seat I want to use for them." If they refuse that (hasn't happened yet) I'd try compromising. How insistant I would be would depend on many factors such as my relationship with the parents and how "bad" their preference is.

Would I drive a FF 20 pound 12 month old?
Would I drive a just turned 4 year old 40 pound kid in a LBB?
Would I drive a kid in just a seatbelt when the fit is marginal?

I'd try like heck not too but I probably would.
But would I drive a FF 20 pound 12 month old through NYC or, for a 2 hour trip to the zoo? Not a chance. He can stay home.

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
2 years and meets the minimum for FF in the seat I have. I would prefer to RF longer but I won't push it after that.

:yeahthat: My car, my liability. So I follow the recommended guidelines since I have that to fall back on if I get sued for some reason. My kids' friends are used to using boosters in my car--they've never complained or questioned why, even though they've been long gone in their parents' cars. But I don't drive other kids very much, so it really hasn't come up for me much.

leighi123

My friend's ds is FF in his car, and RF when I drive him (in his car or mine, I'll switch his seat even in his car and leave it that way!). He is 2.

If the kid has a seat that can RF and they fit in it, they ride RF. If they are under 2 and have a FF only seat, I'll RF them in my spare radian. If they are over 2 and have a FF seat, I offer the radian, but will FF them in their own seat if mom prefers.

Dunno about harnessing, I only have one friend who is bad about that, she has her super hyper autistic 4yr old in a backless turbo, it fits him great (he is huge), but he doesn't sit still. Everyone else is still in a harness or over 6.

Don't know any booster size kids either, but when it comes up, kids will ride in a booster in my car until they 5 step. I'll get some backless ones to keep around for situations where kids aren't in them and should be.

Mysweethoneybee

For forward facing I would really push for 2 and up. I have a neighbor whose small 8 year old son is out of a booster in her car because it isn't against the law. We were planning to take him to an amusement park as a special treat last summer. I put a nbb in the car for him. He pitched a fit. His mom said he didn't need a booster. So he didn't go.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
In my state the driver is 100% responsible for the childs safety...It doesn't even matter if the parent of that child is in the car with you. In that case when I drive children in my car its my car my rules kind of thing. I am upfront with parents that they are able to do as they please in their car but in my car I follow best practice...Etc. If they fit rf in the seat/seats that I have and they are under 3 that's typically how they ride. And All kids that don't pass the 5 step test use a booster (and I have 2 in my trunk at all times)

Dmcj13

In my state the driver is 100% responsible for the childs safety...It doesn't even matter if the parent of that child is in the car with you. In that case when I drive children in my car its my car my rules kind of thing. I am upfront with parents that they are able to do as they please in their car but in my car I follow best practice...Etc. If they fit rf in the seat/seats that I have and they are under 3 that's typically how they ride. And All kids that don't pass the 5 step test use a booster (and I have 2 in my trunk at all times)

:yeahthatlove: Basically, if I wouldn't let my child ride that way, why would I with someone else? If something happened, and I didn't rf/ booster them, but I knew better I could not forgive myself. It would be my fault.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
2.5. I know that by then they are still safe in a properly used FFing seat so I am more than comfortable FFing then for rides every so often.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I rarely drive young children these days, but I'd probably insist on RF to 2 and harness to 5.

Boosters are more of an issue. I have plenty of "extra" boosters and kids ride in them in my car if they don't 5-step, and I have a very buckety backseat so most kids under 5'1" or so are boostered and I just smile and tell them to deal with it.

NannyMom

I keep all kids rear facing in my car until they are 4 years old, or have outgrown my seats rf capabilities. When Sofi was 3, I was driving her best bud Alex alot and he too was 3. He was rear facing in my Radian until his Mom said he was 38 pounds naked. With my own child that I can weigh, I'd push to 40, but not a child I couldn't weigh when desired.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Non negotiable would be to follow the law, which includes proper use (34" tall for a Dorel seat to FF for example and 40# and mature enough to properly use a booster) and proper fit of a seat belt at any age to come out of a booster. It's nice to have that proper seat belt fit clause in our law.

Other than that it would depend on the circumstances and how important it is for me to transport the kids, maintain a relationship with the parents, etc.

I have re-harnessed a young child (abt age 3 but over 40# so booster-legal) against her mother's objections because she would not remain properly seated in a booster. That was a few years ago; these days I wouldn't have even entertained the thought of letting a child that age ride in a booster in my car because I would have known proper use would be impossible. I think I'd add 4 or 5 years old to my minimum booster criteria, come to think of it, even though it isn't the law here.

SignCuer

I keep all kids rear facing in my car until they are 4 years old, or have outgrown my seats rf capabilities. When Sofi was 3, I was driving her best bud Alex alot and he too was 3. He was rear facing in my Radian until his Mom said he was 38 pounds naked. With my own child that I can weigh, I'd push to 40, but not a child I couldn't weigh when desired.

Agreed...

As soon as the child is in my car, that child becomes my responsibility... and my rules have always been over 4 years and/or outgrow the seat by height/weight for RFing and I haven't had a problem with the parents or the kids. I actually have a nice simple chart in the car for kids to see/read. I told the 6 year old that if he can't sit nicely in my car, he would be going back in a harness. He did for a week and had no problems since.

As for boostering, 5 1/2 is my minimum.

The child must pass the 5 step test, otherwise booster... I have Harmony boosters for boys/girls so it looks "cool". I also do have 2 TBs which works just fine for younger booster riders (8 and under)

babygirlsmom1005

FF'ing - 3 years is my min. to turn Forward....if the child happens to be over 40 lbs before 3, then I have no choice but to FF, under 40 lbs, they ride RF'ing.

Booster - if they cannot sit properly in a booster seat, they go into a harness, I don't care what the age is. My nephew who is 8 won't stay still, so he rides in the FN85 when with me and Madeline rides in the HB booster (she sits perfectly in one, but prefers her FN85 harnessed).

No Seat - if they cannot pass the 5-step test in MY vehicle, then they are in a booster.

lovemy2kidstw

As long as the child would fit RF in the seat, that is how he/ she would ride if using my seat. Not to sure about booster vs. Harnessed because both of mine are still under 3, but the other kid would be in the appropriate seat for sure.

I don't have any experience in this as I haven't transported anyone else's child. Do most parents not install their own seat in your vehicle? With My DD & DS , my husband or I always install the seats in whatever vehicle they will be riding in.

What do you do if, let's say 25 lb 1 yr old will be riding with you & parent has them in a FF only seat? & you don't have a spare seat? I personally would tell them that I'm not comfortable with their LO FF that early. I agree I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC