Darn drs.

Baylor

So the girl I sit for is getting a new van. Well new to her. A 2008 odyssey.

She said she wanted to get little guy rfing again but when she told dr he said " if his feet touch the back of the seat , i
You can't"""

Grrrr grrrr grrrr.

So I sent her the link to the new 2 yr recommendation and it had pics of rfing after a year.

Why oh why do they talk about things they know not of???

auto correct hates me

ADS

jeminijad

Considering there are still techs telling people to FF at age 1, I'm not getting too worked about about docs.

I'll agree that the information penetration regarding the AAP recs is very patchy, though.

robbertbobbert

One of the moms I sit for said her kid's ped said ERF is silly, and anyway, he doesn't agree with most of what the AAP says about anything.

Well... Then maybe you shouldn't be a pediatrician?

jsmom

My boss was told by her pedi to turn her son at 10 months because his feet were touching the seat. :(

ks227

A mom in my playgroup was told by her ped that it was perfectly safe to FF at 13 months. So kiddo went from a SR35 to a Nautilus. She got the Nauti for her baby shower and wanted to use it rather than having it sit in a closet, and since baby #2 is on the way they didn't want to spend money on a convertible.

One of the moms moved her child from the KF22 into a Nautilus at 13 months. I have my doubts as to whether the child was even 20 pounds at the time. :( They see the same pediatrics group as we do, and we've never been asked about car seat usage so I'm not surprised.

I might bring this up at DD's 18 month appointment, just to see what our doctor says.

Brianna

My friend texted me about her son's ped having a car seat sign up saying to FF at 1 and booster and 4. I mailed them NHTSA recs and pointed them towards the AAP recs and NHTSA site. Her next visit there the old sign was gone but nothing was there to replace it. I'm hoping they were just taking time to research before putting up new signs.

Mysweethoneybee

My sons' ped still has the same info posters about car seats that they had when my 13 year old was a baby. Actually no the tornado blew them away...now they don't have anything about car seats. When I brought the subject up over a year ago the one I saw said that since my then 3 year old was over 40lbs he should ride in a booster. When I said that I wanted him to stay harnessed as long as possible the doctor said she didn't think car seats allowed for kids over 40lbs. Then she said her 3 year old was in a graco turbo booster and did fine. :eek:

NatesMamma

We have 3 moms in our playgroup who are married to pediatricians, and all their kids go FF at 1 year. I was checking out baby buckets at a recent playdate. Two of the moms were there with their babies. One car seat had a REALLY poorly fitting homemade cover, and both harnesses were all kinds of loose. :-(

Our playgroup is like 90% doctors' families, and my DS is the only kid that I know of who has been RF Until/beyond age 2. Recently, more of the kids have been RF beyond their first birthday, but they all end up turning before 24 mos. What a shame from people who really should know better!

NatesMamma

Just for the record, though, lots of pediatricians don't agree with the AAP's stance on at least some things. I don't blame them, really, especially when lots of the AAP's policies have to do with parenting/ social issues rather than medical ones. That said, I would LOVE to question a pedi about why ERF is so "silly!" What a stupid comment. ::eye roll:: Maybe instead of dismissing the AAP out of hand, the doc in question should take a moment to thoughtfully consider whether a particular policy makes sense.

When you think about it, pedis spend SO MUCH time researching and learning about all these rare childhood problems that they'll see *maybe* a handful of times in their entire careers, yet they don't bother to take a single hour to research car safety-- something that affects ALL their patients. How backward is that?!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC