I didn't think they used these anymore

Tiffanie

My neighbor puts her 3 year old and her now 5 year old on a bus every morning to go to their summer school program. Well she tells me that on the bus the kids use the shield boosters without a back and just the lap belt. :eek: Her 3 year old is teh same size as my 18 month old too and her 5 year old is smaller than my DS (40 lbs, 42"). I didn't think those boosters were used anymore, let alone on a school bus. Now she thinks she should put her three kids in those for her van and car :eek: You don't even want to know what these kids are restrained in right now..or rather barely restrained in.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
They should not use them. They really are not safe.

I don't know when the last ones were made, so I don't know if they would be expire or not. They did definately stop manufacturing them.

Maybe someone else knows when the last ones were manufactured.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure when the last ones were made. I do know that they are the ONLY booster compatible with a lap only belt, so I guess at least the school is trying...

I'd tell her that the scenera is cheaper for the younger 2. The older if she has decent headrests and the kid is mature enough, a backless turbobooster would be the bare minimum and would be better than nothing or a garage sale shield booster.

The oldest in a booster isn't ideal, but at least at 5yrs old and 40lbs he meets the requirements provided he can sit properly and it's better than not being in a booster... Scenera's are cheap, so she should be able to get seats for all 3 for $100 or $110. If she wanted to...

Simplysomething

I'm not sure when the last ones were made. I do know that they are the ONLY booster compatible with a lap only belt, so I guess at least the school is trying...

I think though--weren't they only compatible with a lap belt WITH the shield in place? Otherwise, it functions like a low back booster, which you should never use with a lap only belt.

Then again, it's been awhile since I've seen the instructions on a shield booster.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think though--weren't they only compatible with a lap belt WITH the shield in place? Otherwise, it functions like a low back booster, which you should never use with a lap only belt.

Then again, it's been awhile since I've seen the instructions on a shield booster.

That's right - only when the shield was in place.

And it's recommended that the shield be removed if using with a lap/shoulder belt - although I'm not sure if that recommendation is in the instructions or not - we just went over it in our course.

In Canada there was a recall on the labelling/instructions for use of the booster with a lap/shoulder belt. The seats were stickered with instructions to place the shoulder portion of the belt behind the child when using the shield. Transport Canada issued a notice to not follow that instruction when using it with a lap/shoulder belt. I'm not sure if that instruction was on those boosters in the US or not... :confused: but something to keep in mind if someone you know is using one of these and refuses to give it up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC