Question Harness or high back for small almost 5 year old?

Kellyplouffe

Hi,
I am looking for input from others in regards to my almost five year old daughter and how she rides in the car. She is pretty small for her age...33 pounds and 38" tall. She will be in kindergarten in August. In my heart, I know she should still be in a five point harness, however when she goes to kindergarten, it is my understanding that the staff working the car line cannot do anything except open the door of the car. My daughter can strap herself into the five point, but cannot let herself out of it. In this case, a high back booster would allow her to get out on her own. I am just curious how other parents handle this situation. She is one of the few in her pre-K class that still sit in a five point harness at this time.
I appreciate any advice!
Kelly

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I agree with Wendy. If you can put her in a spot in the vehicle that you can reach around and help her get unbuckled.

We have a line where you can drop off, no teachers unbuckle. Or you can park in the same area. I park, because I like to walk my younger kids to their classrooms.

Kellyplouffe

Thanks so much for your input. I did think about unbuckling her, I just know how they like to keep the car line moving. I actually have to put the van in park so I can get turned around and use two hands to undo the chest clip of her Evenflo Maestro. Her safety is the most important, so I suppose we will play it by ear as to whether I will just park and walk her in.

Thanks again,
Kelly :)

cookie123

I wouldn't want to put a child with those stats in a booster seat. August is quite a long ways away. I would work on learning to do it. There's plenty of time. :)

Kellyplouffe

I am also debating on getting a different seat as I have not been thrilled with the Maestro. The chest clip cannot be opened with one hand and that is usually what is available. My goal is to keep her harnessed as long as possible. At the rate she is going, that will be a long time!

DebiF

IF it helps, my daughter who just turned 5 is 35 lbs and 40" tall and she's in a Nautilus with the 5 pt. harness and loves it, and learned very quickly how to undo the top (chest) buckle. The bottom (crotch) buckle I have to turn around and do myself, but its gotten quite easy.

GL!!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Our dd will be 5y in April. She has a frontier and can buckle and unbuckle herself. Maybe take her shopping and have her try out a few seats. Nautilus, securekid (not sure if it has a different chest clip then the maestro), and frontier.

cookie123

I think the Secure kid has a different buckle than the Maestro. Matthew can undo it but it's difficult for him. But he's only been in it a couple of times. I'm sure he'll get better with practice. He was 4 in December.

Kellyplouffe

The Nautilus is what I am considering since the chest clip is different. On the Maestro, I can unbuckle with one hand...it is the chest clip that is difficult. With one hand you have to use a finger to press down on a button and then use both hands to pull the clips apart. So annoying and that is opening it while standing next to van. I also like the Frontier, but can't really go that high in price. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC