Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Harness or high back for small almost 5 year old?

Hi,
    I am looking for input from others in regards to my almost five year old daughter and how she rides in the car. She is pretty small for her age...33 pounds and 38" tall. She will be in kindergarten in August. In my heart, I know she should still be in a five point harness, however when she goes to kindergarten, it is my understanding that the staff working the car line cannot do anything except open the door of the car. My daughter can strap herself into the five point, but cannot let herself out of it. In this case, a high back booster would allow her to get out on her own. I am just curious how other parents handle this situation. She is one of the few in her pre-K class that still sit in a five point harness at this time.
    I appreciate any advice!
    Kelly

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Harness or high back for small almost 5 year old?

I'd park and walk her in, or reach back and unbuckle her. I wouldn't put a not yet five year old, 33 pound child in a booster full time.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

CPS Technician
    I agree with Wendy. If you can put her in a spot in the vehicle that you can reach around and help her get unbuckled.

We have a line where you can drop off, no teachers unbuckle. Or you can park in the same area. I park, because I like to walk my younger kids to their classrooms.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Thanks so much for your input. I did think about unbuckling her, I just know how they like to keep the car line moving. I actually have to put the van in park so I can get turned around and use two hands to undo the chest clip of her Evenflo Maestro. Her safety is the most important, so I suppose we will play it by ear as to whether I will just park and walk her in.

Thanks again,
    Kelly

I wouldn't want to put a child with those stats in a booster seat. August is quite a long ways away. I would work on learning to do it. There's plenty of time.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

I am also debating on getting a different seat as I have not been thrilled with the Maestro. The chest clip cannot be opened with one hand and that is usually what is available. My goal is to keep her harnessed as long as possible. At the rate she is going, that will be a long time!

IF it helps, my daughter who just turned 5 is 35 lbs and 40" tall and she's in a Nautilus with the 5 pt. harness and loves it, and learned very quickly how to undo the top (chest) buckle. The bottom (crotch) buckle I have to turn around and do myself, but its gotten quite easy.

GL!!
    My little blessing: Erin Rianna
    Harnessed in a Graco Nautilus as of Jan 2012
    5 years old Dec. 19: 40" Tall: 35 Lbs.

10. Thank You from:

CPS Technician
    Our dd will be 5y in April. She has a frontier and can buckle and unbuckle herself. Maybe take her shopping and have her try out a few seats. Nautilus, securekid (not sure if it has a different chest clip then the maestro), and frontier.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

12. Thank You from:

I can do the nautilus with one had (the five year old girl I nanny sits behind me and I can unbuckle her with one hand)

14. Thank You from:

I think the Secure kid has a different buckle than the Maestro. Matthew can undo it but it's difficult for him. But he's only been in it a couple of times. I'm sure he'll get better with practice. He was 4 in December.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

The Nautilus is what I am considering since the chest clip is different. On the Maestro, I can unbuckle with one hand...it is the chest clip that is difficult. With one hand you have to use a finger to press down on a button and then use both hands to pull the clips apart. So annoying and that is opening it while standing next to van. I also like the Frontier, but can't really go that high in price.

See if you can get an older style evenflo chest clip, they were really easy.
    Dani, Mom to Madeline, Coen and Julien

Forever missing our sweet angel Aislyn Faye 4/5/13-4/11/13