boosters as checked luggage?

mdsvc89

We're traveling to NY (from CA) this summer, with our son who will be 5. He'll mostly be using a harnessed seat at home, but we'll be booster training him soon (I posted about this a few days ago).

I'm comfortable with him staying in the lap belt on the plane.

I know a booster can't be used on the plane, so the booster would have to be checked luggage. Is this OK? I understand why it's not for carseats, since weakened plastic could come apart in a crash, but for a booster it seems to me that it's the seatbelt that does the work in a crash -- the booster is just there for positioning.

Thoughts?

Michelle

ADS

Kaitsmom

I wouldnt, if it does get damaged and you cant tell and it breaks in a crash your child could be seriously injured or killed. Which booster are you using? I would look at something like a Turbo Booster that comes apart, put the highback in a suitecase, pack it in the middle of the clothes, and put the low back in your sons backpack as his carry on.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I never would. The booster doesn't just do nothing. Otherwise you could grab a phone book. It acts as a pair of artificial hips, taking some of the forces off of the child.

I agree with a Turbo with the back in the suitcase, or an Evenflo Big Kid Amp, same thing, or a Ride Safer Travel Vest.

Wendy

Eclipsepearl

The risk is really if you arrive and your checked bag somehow got rerouted. It does happen so you'd need a back-up plan (like have hubby run out and buy a couple of boosters from a local store).

With the turbo booster, you can remove the handles and pack them flat. This is not ideal but would be a good idea. A hard sided case might be wise as well, if you really have to check them.

Another idea would be to order a couple of boosters on line and have them delivered to your hotel. Check that your hotel is okay with this. If you are visiting friends/family, even better but they'd have to come to the airport or arrange other transport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC