Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

boosters as checked luggage?

We're traveling to NY (from CA) this summer, with our son who will be 5. He'll mostly be using a harnessed seat at home, but we'll be booster training him soon (I posted about this a few days ago).

I'm comfortable with him staying in the lap belt on the plane.

I know a booster can't be used on the plane, so the booster would have to be checked luggage. Is this OK? I understand why it's not for carseats, since weakened plastic could come apart in a crash, but for a booster it seems to me that it's the seatbelt that does the work in a crash -- the booster is just there for positioning.

Thoughts?

Michelle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    I wouldnt, if it does get damaged and you cant tell and it breaks in a crash your child could be seriously injured or killed. Which booster are you using? I would look at something like a Turbo Booster that comes apart, put the highback in a suitecase, pack it in the middle of the clothes, and put the low back in your sons backpack as his carry on.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: boosters as checked luggage?

I never would. The booster doesn't just do nothing. Otherwise you could grab a phone book. It acts as a pair of artificial hips, taking some of the forces off of the child.

I agree with a Turbo with the back in the suitcase, or an Evenflo Big Kid Amp, same thing, or a Ride Safer Travel Vest.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Re: boosters as checked luggage?

The risk is really if you arrive and your checked bag somehow got rerouted. It does happen so you'd need a back-up plan (like have hubby run out and buy a couple of boosters from a local store).

With the turbo booster, you can remove the handles and pack them flat. This is not ideal but would be a good idea. A hard sided case might be wise as well, if you really have to check them.

Another idea would be to order a couple of boosters on line and have them delivered to your hotel. Check that your hotel is okay with this. If you are visiting friends/family, even better but they'd have to come to the airport or arrange other transport.
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com