Why shouldn't you put a safety pin in the harness?

ADS

glockchick

It can tear the fibers in the harness, thus weakening the harness.

And the manufacturer doesn't say it's allowed so you can't do it. ;)

Polola0628

Wait... can you explain the actual mechanics of it (the placement of the pin)?

I've just honestly never heard of it and am curious =P

My vote is no, however.

christineka

Wait... can you explain the actual mechanics of it (the placement of the pin)?

I've just honestly never heard of it and am curious =P

My vote is no, however.

You stick a safety pin through both sides of the harness, just under the chest clip so the child can't slide it down.

aeormsby

And if the kids manages to get it off or it accidentally comes undone they could get stabbed by it and that's not going to help the situation any.

christineka

I agree that it's a bad idea. I'm just the one voice of dissent among a group of mothers who think it's completely fine, doesn't damage the straps, and is a better option than letting the kid escape. What other ideas are there for keeping a rfing kid from escaping? The child is rfing in the third row with a mirror.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Punctured lungs, anyone? Yeah, evidently doing anything to keep the chest clip from breaking or sliding down in a crash is a huge no-no, Britax once even tested puffy fabric paint dots on the harness below the chest clip and it altered the crash dynamics so much they were worried it would cause injury and told us (on the parentsplace board years ago) definitely no to even that.
Really the answer is discipline (don't move when they slide the chest clip down, thank them for sitting properly, bribery... whatever it takes for you to TEACH them that they need to sit right). And that's the answer I most hate to give, but meh, it is what it is.

Brianna

I wonder how Britax could find it to be bad, yet the design of Evenflo Chase and the Baby Trend combo seat don't allow the chest clip to move down past the adjuster.

You stick a safety pin through both sides of the harness, just under the chest clip so the child can't slide it down.

Also, if the child is determined and/or strong they could push continually or just hard and really tear/damage the staps more than just the orgional puncture holes. So I really wouldn't do that. A small hole can become a big one in no time, especially if that is an ongoing thing.

PurpleCat

I'm having the problem of the wandering chest clip too and I wouldn't have thought to pin it up there. What a weird idea. :scratch:

The toilet paper/paper towel roll is a cool idea.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, they do poke those plastic tag holder thingies through harnesses. I'm less concerned about a small hole in the harness--because you can probably finagle it in between the fibers if you're careful--than the possibility of the safety pin breaking in a crash and stabbing a child.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I had a family several years ago with 2 1/2 year old twins who were quite the houdinis. Their mom sewed big buttons to their straps right below the chest clip. It worked to keep they from moving the clip down, but was definitely not something I would recommend. Holes in the harness, choking hazard if they got the buttons off, and who knows what could happen in a crash. Mom chose to keep the buttons.

cookie123

I used harness covers below the chest clip that had to be threaded on. They were stiff and just the right length. It worked well.

I would not use a safety pin.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC