Booster seat for travel with 7 year old

M

Michelle Zee

We are traveling by plane with our 7 year old in a few weeks. We will be renting a car at our destination, and will need a booster seat for him. Once we get there, we will be doing a LOT of driving, so a safe seat is a must!

Does anyone have experience with the booster seats that car rental agencies use?

Would you rent a booster seat or purchase one and check it with your luggage?

We currently use a Britax Frontier, so I have no experience with choosing or using a booster seat, and I'd appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Never rent seats. They're nasty with unknown histories and unknown recall status. A booster seat isn't a phone book, it's not ok if it's been abused.

I'd go out and buy a backless booster and carry it on board with you. Or a BubbleBum. Put it in the overhead. That way it isn't checked and potentially damaged or lost, nor bulky. If we're not traveling with our BubbleBum we do that. Our BubbleBum goes in my suitcase, which I also carry on.

Wendy

beetlemama

The bubble bum is the perfect solution for travel with older kids. It's lightweight, folds very small and can pack easily. While I would never use it as a regular thing this young, I keep one in my 4.5 year old's backpack in case of emergency pick up (we only have one car, so god forbid something happened to me and the car while she's at school it would not be as simple as having my husband pick her up instead). Right now it's an emergency backup that has not been used, I plan on keeping it with her in elementary school in case she ends up going home with a friend unexpectedly or in another situation where she might need a seat without preplanning it. All my kids will keep one in their backpacks until they comfortably 5 step and that's what I would use to fly as well (we haven't flown in a few years, so haven't had that issue!).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd probably pick up an inexpensive backless -- Harmony LiteRider, Cosco Top Side, maybe Evenflo Amp. Carry it on the plane and stick it under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. That way there's no renting and no checking. :)

sirrahn

I would also probably just take a backless...we love the Literider, but another option would be to pick up a Turbo or Big Kid Sport, pack the back of the booster in a suitcase and carry on the bottom. That way you definitely will have something if your luggage is lost, but if there will be a lot of driving and he's used to a Frontier, having a place to rest his head might be nice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC