Bone Ossification and RFing

CanadaGirl

I was lamenting on FB today that my son is close to being turned FFing. This was the first time I've weighed him clothed with shoes (typical car ride outfit) and he is 37.8 pounds. I have a MR65 and a CA, both of which need to be turned at 40 pounds.

I wrote:
I had Ty stand on the scale. Normally I weigh him undressed in the morning, but I need to know how much he weighs dressed for the car seat. 37.8 pounds! I can't believe in 2 more pounds I'll be turning his car seat forward facing! I was hoping to make it to his 3rd birthday though.

Response:
you're really going to wait for 2lbs?

I replied with:
If I could, I'd wait longer. Weight has nothing to do with rear-facing safety, it's more about age and their bones. But, aside from one brand of seat that rear faces to 45 pounds (and is out of my budget and doesn't fit nicely in my car) 40 pounds was the highest RFing weight I could find when we bought our convertibles. And 2 pounds might buy me the three more months until he turns 3 (I hope!)

Can anyone give a quick response I can use to explain why RFing safety isn't about weight? I know it has something to do with bone ossification, but I'm not exactly sure about ages and timelines.

Anyone think we'll make it to 3 years? *croses fingers*

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
This page might have some of the info about ossification that you are looking for: http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/newbornpreschool.htm

I think this video (it's a little more than a minute long) probably is a quick, great visual about why rear-facing is safer; it mentions rear-facing until 4 years old and nothing about weight. http://youtu.be/sssIsceKd6U

Weight gain tends to slow down at this age, so I think there's a good chance your son could last RF until 3 years old. If not, you will have done a wonderful job rear-facing him to the limits of your seats. :)

KaiLing

You'll totally make it to 3, and you should be proud of yourself! You can do what I do and weigh a lot and take his shoes off in the car for even more comfort (I've got a 43 lber in a Radian and he gets no shoes, no sippy cup).

CanadaGirl

Thank you both!

I really appreciate your input and the great links. I wish the US had the same standards as Scandinavia etc when it comes to car seat weight limits :mad:

NatesMamma

I think you'll get beyond 3, no problem. My DS has only gained 3 lbs this entire year. He was 28 lb at his 2 yr check, and my bathroom scale put him at 31 lb a few days ago. He'll be 3 next month.

Their growth tends to slow waaay down after age 2 or so. About 4 lbs/year is average for 2 and 3 year olds, according to statistics that I've seen.

tam_shops

My ODS was just over 30# and 2 1/2yo. He's just turned 6yo and is now 39.5#. We're talking 2-3#/year, after 2yo.

As for the response, I'd wait and see what the person replies back with...sometimes too much information can be overwhelming!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC