Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

How do I wash my Radian cover?

My Champaign Radian cover is dirty and needs some serious washing (recently went on vacation and let dd eat in her seat for convienence). How can I wash the cover? Can I just throw it in the washer or will it ruin it? Is it easy to take off the seat? Where is it attached at, is it attached in a difficult way?
    If for some reason it ends up ruined, how much do new covers cost?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: How do I wash my Radian cover?

I washed our Radian cover this spring after DS spilled a strawberry smoothie in his seat (don't ask why we let him have one while in the car!)

The Radian manual has good instructions for removing/replacing the cover. I was worried, too, but it turned out to be easier than I thought. I washed the cover on the "hand wash" setting of the washer, and let it air dry. For the straps, I just wiped them off with plain water.

The cover turned out looking great ... no damage from washing. If it did fall apart after one washing, then I would call Sunshine Kids to ask for a free replacement. (They also sell them if you need a new one a few years down the road, but I can't remember the cost.)

Good luck!
    DS1 - 7.5 yrs, 56 lbs, 50" - Compass B510 Booster or Graco Turbobooster
    DS2 - 5 yrs, 45 lbs, 41" - Britax Husky, Graco Nautilus, Compass B510 Booster
    DD - 17 yrs, newly licensed

Senior Community Member supercrunch's Avatar

I have also machine washed one of my Radian covers on the delicate cycle and it came out perfectly.

Make sure you let it air dry, as the heat can damage elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrunch View Post
    Make sure you let it air dry, as the heat can damage elastic.
    ....And could shrink the cover enough to not fit the shell...
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

CPS Fanatic

Wash it gentle cycle cold and then air dry. It'll come out perfectly.

Taking it off is a pure PITA though

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    Taking it off is a pure PITA though
    Fortunately, it's not as much a PITA as taking off an Evenflo Triumph cover to wash--you have to unscrew the back of the Triumph shell! (I just cleaned up my great-nieces' Triumphs--it made me appreciate the relative ease of cover removal on other carseats!)
    DS1 - 7.5 yrs, 56 lbs, 50" - Compass B510 Booster or Graco Turbobooster
    DS2 - 5 yrs, 45 lbs, 41" - Britax Husky, Graco Nautilus, Compass B510 Booster
    DD - 17 yrs, newly licensed

CPS Fanatic

Ok, yeah, you don't need TOOLS to get off the R65 cover

Senior Community Member supercrunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    Ok, yeah, you don't need TOOLS to get off the R65 cover
    Actually, I did. lol

Those little rivets on the sides were really hard to get off. I ended up using plyers to grab them after my fingers got too sore.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by supercrunch View Post
    Actually, I did. lol

Those little rivets on the sides were really hard to get off. I ended up using plyers to grab them after my fingers got too sore.

I popped them off by pulling up on the cover while holding them. Much less painfuly than trying to get my fingers in to pop them off just from the top. Not sure that makes sense. Kinda like, you start pullin it off, it gets stuck due to those little button rivet things (but you don't know that's what's got it stuck) so you push your fingers further under the stuck spot and magically they POP!

Stephanie

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RearFacingAdvocate View Post
    I popped them off by pulling up on the cover while holding them. Much less painfuly than trying to get my fingers in to pop them off just from the top. Not sure that makes sense. Kinda like, you start pullin it off, it gets stuck due to those little button rivet things (but you don't know that's what's got it stuck) so you push your fingers further under the stuck spot and magically they POP!

Stephanie
    That's what I did. The first time I removed it I nearly got bloody fingernails trying to pry the rivets off. The second time, I prayed the fabric was good quality, grabbed the cover and YANKED. Fortunately it came off intact, lol.