Pics of ds3 in the FR85 and a question

momtoo3

We went to BRU today to try out the FR85 and SecureKid. They didn't have the SecureKid :(. DS3 also liked the Argos but would have had some head slump issues. So basically our choice was the FR85. He liked it because it had cup holders :rolleyes:. I am concerned about his legs in it, everything else was great. His legs are short and do not bend at the end of the seat, they just kind of stick out. I am worried about that not being comfortable. Any thoughts on this?

Here he is with it installed in my van. He is almost 3.5 years and about 28 pounds and 37 inches.
IMG_20120208_094749-1.jpg

Here is a pic of his legs. Ignore the expired scenera sitting on top of ds2's Monterey, it was my trade in if I would of bought something and was where the FR85 is when I was driving. Will his legs be uncomfortable like this?
IMG_20120208_094818-1.jpg

And here is a pic of the overhang in harness mode. It is installed in a 03 Caravan on the second row 2 person bench.
IMG_20120208_094806-1.jpg

ADS

melniemi

The fr kind of slopes gradually, making it more comfy for shorter legs, at least it seems like it would. It doesn't just cut off, ykwim? I think he looks fine and would like it. My 5yo is 41", 35# and rides in a fr85 and loves it!

MommyofThree

Out of the Britax Boulevard, Radian XTSL, TF, the Maestro and the Britax f85. The Frontier by far is my 6 year olds favorite!!!!

noahsmom24

Could he try sitting indian style if his legs start to get tired or uncomfortable? That's definitely how I'd sit with my legs sticking out like that! He's adorable :)

momtoo3

Could he try sitting indian style if his legs start to get tired or uncomfortable? That's definitely how I'd sit with my legs sticking out like that! He's adorable :)

Thank you.

That is what I am thinking but who knows what he will do. He will certainly not do it if I suggest it :rolleyes:. Behind that cute little face and snuggly body is a VERY stubborn child. He has also been having problems with leg pain since Thanksgiving. I turned him FF shortly after the pain started and he has not complained in the car since Christmas. I have no idea if it is related or just him. I am bummed because when I was at the store earlier the blue was available online and the guy at BRU said he could order it and use a trade in coupon for me (not sure if that is normal but I think he wanted me to stop playing with all the seats) which would make the seat under $200 with tax. I wanted to get opinions on the leg issues and now the seat is out of stock completely online. I don't actually need the seat until the end of the year when my sister's baby (due in Aug) will be ready for a convertible and I will pass his MA70 on to her but I have an itch to get a new seat. Damn addiction :p.

aym4Him

He's a cutie and very similar (pretty much exactly!) the same size as my DS who is a couple months younger. I'm so jealous of how great he looks in that seat! I talked myself out of getting it to save us some $$ but now, I'm realizing that, deep down, this is the seat I wanted all along! :(

I guess it's all the talk of how comfortable so many kids seem to be in the FR85. I got two of the "least popular" for comfort: the GN and the Maestro. DS has ridden in the former only 2x (and said, "Oh, this one not hurt, Mommy!!" I couldn't get a reason for the other seat (Maestro) hurting him but I suspect it's the harness straps). He's ridden in the Maestro about 10 times. It's now in DH's car and the GN is in the van for our main seat. I'm having trouble getting the swing of getting the harness adjusted properly on both but I think that will come with practice. I've had zero issues with the buckle on the GN (yay!). Both seats cost $165, total, so I guess that's definitely a silver lining. I just hope DS is comfy and that we get used to harness adjustments, etc so we're comfy (safety-wise!) too!

I hope someone answers your question about the overhang.

I hear you about the addiction part. This site is great for so many things but, doggone it... It has ruined me! I read info on seats I don't even NEED! :p

FYI, the lowest I've found the FR85 is around $212 (Amazon). I think it was Onyx, though.

Happy hunting!!!!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Im sorry you're not happy with the Nautilus and Maestro aym4Him. J (my nanny child) rides in a FR85 in one car and a Nautilus in mine, and he's never complained about the Nautilus being uncomfortable in comparison.

aym4Him

Kac said:
Im sorry you're not happy with the Nautilus and Maestro aym4Him. J (my nanny child) rides in a FR85 in one car and a Nautilus in mine, and he's never complained about the Nautilus being uncomfortable in comparison.

Hey!!

I'm not unhappy with the GN. DS seems to like it. I'm only anxious about taking a long trip & finding out he can't sleep in it or something. It has a nice recline in our van so I hope that helps :)

I'm not confident in my ability to get the harness snug enough in the Maestro w/o hurting him b/c of those straps. The seat itself seems plenty comfy & it was a terrific price. I hope it's just a learning curve. Plus, it's a bit of an adjustment going from buckling a kid RF to FF. To me, it's harder!! :p

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hey!!

I'm not unhappy with the GN. DS seems to like it. I'm only anxious about taking a long trip & finding out he can't sleep in it or something. It has a nice recline in our van so I hope that helps :)

I'm not confident in my ability to get the harness snug enough in the Maestro w/o hurting him b/c of those straps. The seat itself seems plenty comfy & it was a terrific price. I hope it's just a learning curve. Plus, it's a bit of an adjustment going from buckling a kid RF to FF. To me, it's harder!! :p
For the Maestro- some people here have cut thin socks and put on the harness as harness covers. While it's not recommended to alter the seat with things that didn't come with it, thin socks shouldn't hurt anything. It's a parental decision though. :) Hope that helps!

aym4Him

Thx!! I actually tried a set of covers from a Nauti I had to return (b/c armrests were loose & the lady emailing with me from Graco said it was dangerous- later was told, on the phone, it was normal). Strap covers & that black strap w/red plastic on the end were accidentally left out of the box. Seat was going to be "defected out" so they told me to keep the extras.

Anyway, I know not to use what didn't come w/the seat but I wanted to see if they would work. They do seem to be too rigid & would hinder a good fit. Called Evenflo & was told baby socks or fleece would be my only options. I'm gonna use the Graco ones as templates & make him some thin fleece ones.

Thank you for all your help! Here's DS in the GN (not happy at that moment):

image-3137200015.jpg

miraclebabies

He's a cutie... I think it looks comfy, my 5yr old loves her FR85 and has tons of growing room left. Mine is in the 3rd row of my cadillac sub and hangs over that much on my seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC