Inflatable Seat Belts (Ford) and Boosters

ctbcleveland

My cousin just bought a ford w/inflatable seat belts. Her son almost five year old is 46 lbs and 45 inches tall. She plans to booster him.

Which booster seats don't prohibit use with inflatable belts?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Chicco specifically allows it.

I *think* Britax and Combi specifically prohibit it.

I'm not sure if there are any other specific prohibitions.

cryswilkins

LISmama810 said:
Chicco specifically allows it.

I *think* Britax and Combi specifically prohibit it.

I'm not sure if there are any other specific prohibitions.

Yup. In testing done by ford booster riders did benefit from the inflatable belts. Unfortunately, the car seat manufacturers have not tested them specifically with their seats.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, there was an issue with communication, like one side stopped talking. So far Chicco is ok using their seats with inflatable seat belts.

robbertbobbert

This is the first I'm hearing about the inflatable belts, so now I have questions!

If the other manufacturers decide to prohibit using them, what are you supposed to do? Aside from not buy a car with the inflatable seatbelts, obviously.

ctbcleveland

This is the first I'm hearing about the inflatable belts, so now I have questions!

If the other manufacturers decide to prohibit using them, what are you supposed to do? Aside from not buy a car with the inflatable seatbelts, obviously.

You are supposed to use LATCH or move the child to a seating position without the inflatable belts, or find a seat that will allow their belts to be used.

According to my research today, that leaves families with booster riders basically no options. (Chicco Strada, Graco Turbo, Graco Nauti, and Graco Smart Seat). The Nauti and Smart Seat could be used up to the LATCH limit of the vehicle (48 lbs for the Ford), and then need to go in booster mode.

Baylor

robbertbobbert said:

I know there was another thread about this and I'm on app ir I would find it but it was great. Search for it lots of good info.

auto correct hates me

AtTheSouthDam

You are supposed to use LATCH or move the child to a seating position without the inflatable belts, or find a seat that will allow their belts to be used.

According to my research today, that leaves families with booster riders basically no options. (Chicco Strada, Graco Turbo, Graco Nauti, and Graco Smart Seat). The Nauti and Smart Seat could be used up to the LATCH limit of the vehicle (48 lbs for the Ford), and then need to go in booster mode.

And the First years:
First Years
First Years does not recommend using the inflatable seat belt with the Via Infant Seat or with the True Fit Convertible. The inflatable seat belt can be used only with belt positioning boosters.

I also noticed that Evenflo specifies infant, convertible, combination but does NOT mention boosters at all.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Right now (and for the foreseeable future) the belts are only available in the second row outboard, and I think only in the Explorer. So a boostered kid could go in the center or in the third row.

I, personally, would feel comfortable using the belt with any booster for my own kids, but I formed that opinion after sitting through a presentation by Ford. I wouldn't recommend that anyone make such a decision without researching it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Right now (and for the foreseeable future) the belts are only available in the second row outboard, and I think only in the Explorer. So a boostered kid could go in the center or in the third row.

And even then, it's an optional add-on so my first recommendation for parents of kids in car seats, if they didn't already plan to buy car seats that allow for it, would be not to use that option.

ctbcleveland

This family had opted for captain's chairs, so I am assuming the only second row seats are with inflatable belts.

robbertbobbert

ctbcleveland said:

Hmmm that's interesting.

Does the 48 lb limit include the weight of the seat? I've heard the Smart Seat is a total beast.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
For Ford vehicles and most other vehicle manufacturers and carseat manufacturers, LATCH installation weight limits are stated as the weight of the child. One exception is Subaru, which states a combined 60 lb. weight limit of the child and the carseat for LATCH installs.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ctbcleveland said:

Turbo and Compass boosters, too. (ETA: Doh! I missed that atsuydam already said that).

I'm a bit surprised to see that Sunshine Kids said no, just because they're usually the mavericks of the car seat world.

luckyclov

I'm a bit surprised to see that Sunshine Kids said no, just because they're usually the mavericks of the car seat world.
You said maverick. *giggle*

Anways, yeah, I was surprised, too. But that'll probably be lifted if and when they actually get around to crash-testing (well, assuming crash-testing is acceptable).

Ford has a 48 lb LATCH (lower anchor) weight limit. The 48 lbs is made up of a clothed child (meaning, you take clothes/shoes into consideration). Does Ford still have the 60 lb top tether anchor weight limit?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ford no longer specifies a numerical maximum for using the top tether anchor. Instead, per the 2011 LATCH manual's Ford section, "Maximum weight for tether anchors used with a seatbelt: When a child restraint is installed correctly with a seatbelt, the factory-installed TAs may be used up to the maximum weight specified by the child restraint manufacturer."

luckyclov

Good for Ford. DH just traded in his '10 F-150 for a '12 - I'll have to check the manual when he gets home to see what, if anything, the vehicle manual says. IIRC, the '10 manual wasn't super clear outside of 48 lbs for the lower anchors, but I remember the LATCH manual stating 60 lbs (for TA).

robbertbobbert

Jeanum said:
For Ford vehicles and most other vehicle manufacturers and carseat manufacturers, LATCH installation weight limits are stated as the weight of the child. One exception is Subaru, which states a combined 60 lb. weight limit of the child and the carseat for LATCH installs.

Well that would be why I thought that. I was just reading my friend's Subaru manual yesterday and had to look up the LATCH limit online. I was teaching her how to install my nanny kids' seats in case of emergency.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC