Growing Room RF vs FF

morlando27

If a convertible car seat is used to the rf limits, how much time does the child typically have left in the seat once turned ff?

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
morlando27 said:
If a convertible car seat is used to the rf limits, how much time does the child typically have left in the seat once turned ff?

It depends entirely on the seat and the kid. Some are outgrown in both directions at/around the same time. Others can last quite a while, especially if the kid's growth pattern slows.

morlando27

I know it will vary by seat and child but, in general, is it unusual for budget seats with 35 lb rf/40 lb ff limits & 14.75" uppermost slots (Scenera, Tribute, older Alpha Omegas, etc.) to be outgrown in both directions at around the same time? DS2 (3.25 yrs, 33 lbs, 38") is below the second from the top slots rf but when I sat him ff, he appeared to be nearly at the top slots. I expected to get more ff use than it looks like I'm going to and you typically lose growing room when installed vs. trying the seat out in the house, right? His main seats aren't a concern but I'm trying to decide whether to trade in our spare seats for grandma & sitter's cars toward Maestros at BRU.

Last edited:

mama2girls

Budget seats often have lower top slots. It wouldn't be that unusual for a 3 yr old to have nearly outgrown them FF. BRU usually does a trade-in event twice a year, so if you think he might have 6-8 months of growing room you could wait for the next one, otherwise trading them in now might be a good idea.

Syllieann

When ds outgrew the scenera rf, I turned it around and he had about 1/4" to grow. I ended up getting rid of it and buying another erf seat so idk how much longer it would have lasted but I doubt more than 6 mos.

lg's gma

CPS Technician
My grandson outgrew his Scenera by height at exactly 2 years old, so we reluctantly turned him ff. Barely two months later he was over the top harness slots ffing.

ElfJewel

My kids have always outgrown everything by height, so we've had this problem a lot. I and J still barely fit in the Scenera RF, but have outgrown it FF. They even have the same problem in the Radian. They both fit fine RF, but FF are just about at the top slots.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC