When did you first hear RF was safer?

agave

For me it was in college on a plane, we where taking a trip for work. We flew Southwest and there was a row facing backwards, some of us where confused and someone mentioned it was safer. I sat on that row, it was also my first time in a plane. Over a decade later when I was shopping for carseats, it just made sense to RF past the bucket. I had no idea what the law or recommendations where at that point.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
When I was pregnant with DS1. DH worked with some techs, so I made sure he asked them for recommendations and info.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't remember, honestly. I think sometime during my pregnancy with DD, so sometime in 2010. Maybe a little earlier. I probably heard it from the Babycenter forums.

djma

When DS2 turned one and was diagnosed with a platelet disorder. Doctor told me to research seats like crazy because I should buy the "safest" seat out there. While googling, I stumbled across this site.

Laurelz

It was before my oldest son, Crew, was born. A lady I worked with introduced me to ERF, breastfeeding and baby wearing. ...and I'll never forget her for it! She's become one of my very dear friends. :)

hrice

When my second son was about 9/10 mos old. So I kept him RF till 15 mos. :roll eyes: Then when he was almost 18 mos I heard WHY it was safer and turned him back. He RFed full time until 3y7m and is now FF in secondary vehicles and RF in mine. My oldest was turned right at 12 mos and boostered right at 4.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I found out about the safety of RF when DD was about 15 months old. She was still RF, because she was only 19 pounds. She had outgrown her Evenflo Triumph by height, so I researched online about what to do since she wasn't at the 20 pound mark to FF, and I stumbled across ERF info.

Dorothy

I was researching convertibles as DD was reaching the height limit on her KF. That search led me here. DD was rfing to about 2 yo. I turned her seat ffing when I put the KF in for DS. I was searching for a tech to check my installs, and a friend referred me to one in NC that told me DD was safest rfing to 4 yo. I thought it sounded extreme, and I didn't know anyone who had rfed past 1 & 20. About six months later, I was researching seats again. I thought I was looking for a combo seat for DD.My search led me back to c-s.org for the second time. You all reiterated what the NC tech said and helped me find a second convertible. I turned DD back rfing til 3 yr 10.5 mos. :love:

Sent from my phone using the app :)

KristineML

I remember watching some show about car design and safety several years ago and they mentioned that it was safest for everyone other than the driver to be rear-facing. They had a computer generated design of a car that had the driver in the centre and 4 rear facing passengers surrounding the driver.

momtotwogirls

While i was pregnant with my youngest. I was researching carseats for her and came across this site and a few others about erf. I turned my oldest back around at 2yrs3months after a yr of ff.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It would've been... April or May of '09. I was linked here from another board for EH. I read about both EH and ERF, and as I read about ERF I was like, "Eh... I don't think we're interested in that. I'm just here for info on how to reharness my 4, 5, 6 and 7yos. The 17mo is FFing and just fine..." (Scenera, untethered lap-only install... with a locking clip.)

Needless to say, I read more and am now way more likely to EEEEEEEERF than EEEEEEH (although I do still "EH" by normal standards.)

Like hrice, it wasn't until I realized WHY ERF was safer that I subscribed to it (and yes, that toddler was turned back around in short order, at least in my vehicle. I wasn't yet passionate enough to educate his mother, unfortunately.) Because of that, it's something that I include in my "dissertation" every time I educate a parent. The WHY makes such a difference! :)

thepote

When my ds2 was a baby I had heard that longer is better to RF, but I thought that 18m was a long time and turned him then. He went back to RF at 2.5 and was fine with it when I started really reading this site.

Cath3114

I really can't remember. Sometime between when DD was born (8/10) and when we had a wreck (6/11). But I remember when she was little (or before she was born), I put a Nautilus on my Amazon wish list, since it looked like it would be "the best" for when she turned a year. I got tired of carrying the bucket around Christmas, so my brother got her an AOE. I had a helluva time installing it, so went to a check-up event that January. I think it was probably mentioned there, and I started researching soon after. I joined here right after our accident in 06/11 while picking a new seat. But I knew then I would ERF, so I guess it was really between January-June 2011.

scoutingbear

I think it was before the kids were placed with us. Not completely sure though. I think I stumbled across the information on a foster parent forum. There was a tech, I think who kept preaching ERF and extended harnessing. I went to go find more information and found this site in the process. :D

lovemy2kidstw

I heard about it on cafemom when my daughter was about 2. I had really been researching it after that & was considering turning her back after reading that article. She was FF on her first birthday, because before I knew better it seemed like an important milestone :{. After DS was born & DD was about 2.5 yes old we went on a 14 hr trip & DD kept trying to kick DS. I turned her seat RF & left it that way until just a couple of months ago. She will be 3 in two weeks & is FF now, she is the size of a 5+ year old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Early 2002. When I was pregnant with Piper. She rear faced to 2.5, then went back rear facing right before her fourth birthday and stayed that way until 4y8m.

Wendy

all together ooky

I think it was back when DD1 was about 4-5 months old (2004) and outgrowing the infant seat that I started to do convertible carseat research and the marathon kept coming up as the seat to get because you could rear-face the longest in it (at the time). Maybe it was on babycenter? Then I found this board and learned a whole lot more.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Somewhere between DD2 and DS1. DS1 is now 15, so, a long time ago. I was only able to keep him rf'ing until 9mo due to his size and available seats on the market. And as it was, I was 'breaking the rules' and used the seat beyond the stated weight limit. He exceeded 20lbs by 4mo old and at the time, they didn't make seats that went beyond 20lbs. I just couldn't bring myself to FF a 4m old. Finally, by 9mo, I wasn't comfortable exceeding the weight limit any further and finally turned him. I first heard of a higher weight rf'ing one when he was 10mo, I think it was the Century Smart Move. Which I did NOT buy, because at the time, I still only thought you needed to keep them rf'ing until 1yr and I wasn't going to buy a seat for 2mo of use.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC