Marathon vs Radian?

Laurelz

So I have a Radian65 (rf 40lbs) but I've always wanted a Marathon since ods was little. I'm thinking of buying one (since they rf the same and ff the same weight wise pretty much). HOWEVER, how much higher does the Marathon set, how much wider is it? I had an ETA and I didn't like it because it sat so high. I already have to lift him into the Tahoe and then up into the seat further which is why I like the Radian better. I don't need to do 3 across so width isn't really a factor, just curious how MUCH wider it is.

...and would you buy a Marathon over a Radian? Plus I really really want a red car seat! (We're Husker fans! ;) )

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Marathon sits up higher than the Radian, but it isn't obscenely high. The Marathon has a lot less leg room, though, so for a RF toddler/preschooler, that could become a problem.

There are red covers for the Radian. :) What's Husker? Is that a sports team? I'm assuming so?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-Seat-Free-Carrying/dp/B0063G709E/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328459005&sr=1-6"]Amazon.com: Diono Radian RXT Car Seat with Free Radian Carrying Case - Daytona: Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-RadianR120-Convertible-Seat-Storm/dp/B005MQR8JI/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1328459037&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: Diono RadianR120 Convertible Car Seat, Storm: Baby[/ame]

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So I have a Radian65 (rf 40lbs) but I've always wanted a Marathon since ods was little. I'm thinking of buying one (since they rf the same and ff the same weight wise pretty much). HOWEVER, how much higher does the Marathon set, how much wider is it? I had an ETA and I didn't like it because it sat so high. I already have to lift him into the Tahoe and then up into the seat further which is why I like the Radian better. I don't need to do 3 across so width isn't really a factor, just curious how MUCH wider it is.

...and would you buy a Marathon over a Radian? Plus I really really want a red car seat! (We're Husker fans! ;) )

Sorry. Forgot to write-- it is narrow at the base, but fairly wide (NOT as wide as the ETA) in the "body" of the seat.

It sits SEVERAL inches higher than the Radian. Maybe six inches higher?

I just found this. It is old, but the general information (with the exception of company name and weight limits) is about the same. http://www.raisingsmallsouls.com/britax-marathon-vs-sunshine-kids-radian/

Laurelz

From what I've read the Diono seats dont fit the SK Radians. :( ...and yes it's Nebraska football. Colors are red and white.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
From what I've read the Diono seats dont fit the SK Radians. :( ...and yes it's Nebraska football. Colors are red and white.

I meant get a whole new seat. :) If you were planning to buy a Marathon anyway...

Ah! So it is football. Sorry, I am not a sports fan, so I am completely ignorant when it comes to sports teams, names, colors, etc.:eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The weight limits are similar, but the Radians will last a year or two longer rear facing, and likely a year longer forward facing, simply because of shell and top slot heights. The Marathon is rarely outgrown by weight rear facing, the Radian 65 is about 50/50 weight versus height. Forward facing neither is outgrown by weight all that often, though the 65 would be closer. Only a short and heavy child would get to 70 pounds in a Marathon, whereas average kids will get to 55-60 pounds in a Radian 65.

Wendy

cpsaddict

I love my Marathon 70 and would buy it any day over a Radian. The install is a breeze and it really doesn't sit up nearly as high as some seats. DD can climb in hers by herself and she's FF. As for legroom/height, I generally feel like it's over exaggerated how bad it is. The MA70 is deeper than the classic, so DD has about the same amount of growing room in both. She had more legroom in the new one than the old, but the old is easier to put her legs over the sides. That said, I won't know how a preschooler does in it, since DD is FF now, due to weight(she's right at 39ish lbs).

Laurelz

Well the child I'm wanting it for is actually my 2yo. My 3 is too big for anything but a radian w a 45lb limit and even then naked he's 41-42lbs. West is average size so he would fit.

HaileysMommy

I wanted an MA too but had a Radian. I got an MA and while I do love it for certain reasons I love my Radian more. It sits too high just like my EFTA. I don't think the lack of legroom is over exaggerated especially if your going from Radian to MA. You will notice a HUGE difference. My DD is short and her legs were way up the back of the seat in the MA and even though she could crawl in by herself she still had trouble sitting down and getting her feet out from under her. This was at a 45* angle too :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I love my Marathon 70 and would buy it any day over a Radian. The install is a breeze and it really doesn't sit up nearly as high as some seats.

And I'm the opposite. I have had a Classic Marathon, a Classic Boulevard, a Marathon 70, and a Roundabout 55. I keep trying Britax but am just not happy with them.

We all have preferences. :) The key is to find what works for you. :)

zactayaus

OHH!! :D Thank you! How is the feel of the Daytona cover? Is it red or more of a pink?? Like that darn Turbo I've seen.. that's "Kalea" I think? It appears red, but it's actually pink I've read. :cool:

It is bright red and very much a true red.:love: The cover has a smooth nylon type feel to it. Very similar to the feel of the Britax oynx cover if that helps.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I sold my Radian to buy a Marathon 70 and I regret it. :eek:

I love the actual seat. It is very well made, easy to install, :love: Cowmoo, etc. It is hard because it sits so high.

The Radian is also easy to install in my car, well made, etc. It is a lot taller and will last longer.

The 2y9m old I nanny outgrew the MA70 RFing already.

I miss my Radian.

Laurelz

Good to know! Thank you ladies! I think I might just see if I can buy a Daytona cover for my radian. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC