Special needs baby too heavy to RF, too young for FF. What now?

GMGinVT

My youngest DD has low muscle tone as well as an overgrowth syndrome. At not quite seven months she weighs just under 40 pounds and does not have the trunk strength to sit unassisted.

I've searched high and low for a RF seat that would work for her, but I'm at a loss. It seems like our only options are to either turn her FF now :eek: b/c of the weight limit OR violate the weight restriction and leave her RF. Neither option feels safe.

HELP!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What seats are you looking at? There are seats that RF to 45# in the US, so you would still have a few # before turning FF.

Can you afford a Swedish seat that RF to 55#? (www.carseat.se?) You may or may not have time to get it approved by NHTSA, which would be required if you're wanting to try and get insurance to cover the cost.

hrice

The Diono Radian R1200 or RXT both rear face to 45 pounds. But for a 40 pound 7 month old I would import a Swedish seat. They have seats that RF to 55 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would also look into a Swedish seat. Some states have medical exemptions in their car seat laws. Sometimes that means you need approval from the DMV or a court, or possibly just a doctors note. Even if your state doesn't have a medical exemption, this is one instance in which I would look into using a Swedish seat even if it does violate the law.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Another vote for a Swedish seat.
Here is where you can find them:

http://www.carseat.se/

They come up in the Swap forum from time to time also. So I would seriously go check over there. You're probably looking for a Britax Multi-Tech.

It's possible you could get a partial reimbursement from your health insurance. I would check. Importing a seat is not cheap, but I'm afraid it's your only realistic option.

I hope you'll stick around on this board. I think you're likely to need some specialized car seat advice for years to come, and this is a good place to get it.

GMGinVT

Thank you all for your input. The Swedish seat seems like it will meet our needs for now. Thank you very, very much.

And I'll be sure to listen to this advice:

I hope you'll stick around on this board. I think you're likely to need some specialized car seat advice for years to come, and this is a good place to get it.

Pixels

How reclined can the Multi Tech be? When I've seen it it has always been pretty upright but it is usually used with older kids without SN. For a low-tone 7 month old that child will need good recline.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm one of the most outspoken against illegally imported seats on this board, and I would absolutely do it for the situation you describe. I would try to cover myself by getting a doctor's note and even try for an NHTSA waiver.

InternationalMama

How reclined can the Multi Tech be? When I've seen it it has always been pretty upright but it is usually used with older kids without SN. For a low-tone 7 month old that child will need good recline.

Yeah, the Multi-Tech is only designed to be used for older kids (starting weight is 9kg, which obviously your child meets, but I think they mean for it to be used after an infant bucket). I think it would be very hard to get it reclined enough. Another option is the Brio Zento, which is designed to be used from birth. Getting the 45 degree recline is kind of tricky, but I have seen it demonstrated and it is doable. That seat also can be used to 55 lbs.

finn

I dont think a 7 month old would fit very well in MT, they aren't very reclined. What about a Two Way Elite?

Ketchup Queen has an awesome Swedish seat, I can't remember what it's called, but I think it has a good recline on it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

kam1011

On that site, brand new with shipping the MT is US$499 at today's conversion rate. Some of the other ones which actually look better for infants are a tiny bit cheaper. It's not illegal to import...just to use :) (and of course there's ways around that as previously mentioned)

GMGinVT

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

It looks like ketchupqueen has a Belogic and is very happy with it. I'm going to look more into that seat (ouch, though, on the price tag!). I'm concerned about the recline of any seat (as several of you pointed out with the MT) and it seems like the 3 recline positions of the Belogic might work.

When I looked for waiver details at the state level (I'm in Vermont), this is what the DMV website states: "Medical exemptions were repealed. Contact your local pediatrician or the number below to learn more." They'll be hearing from me tomorrow. ;) I also contacted the NHTSA about a waiver.

This thread has been an enormous help - thanks so much for helping us keep our daughter safe.

InternationalMama

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

It looks like ketchupqueen has a Belogic and is very happy with it. I'm going to look more into that seat (ouch, though, on the price tag!). I'm concerned about the recline of any seat (as several of you pointed out with the MT) and it seems like the 3 recline positions of the Belogic might work.

We have another Akta/Graco seat (the DuoLogic). It only goes up to 40 lbs, but it is *awesome* and if the Belogic's 3 recline positions are similar to the 3 recline positions on the DuoLogic I bet it would work really well. I love that seat. I didn't know they'd come out with a 55 lbs model.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Belogic is decent for recline for a toddler but for such a young infant I really would try to find something more reclined. If you PM AdventureDad he should be able to tell you which seat that goes to 25 kg rear facing has the best recline.

brightredmtn

I had a Two-Way before it was crashed. It has a decent recline and the reason why I chose it was because it looks pretty normal like any another other US seat so I was never concerned that any cop would notice it was imported.

Last edited:

newyorkDOC

I have a TWE. You can recline it basically however you want. It needs to brace against the front seat though so you would need to check your car manual to make sure this is ok with the advanced airbags if you have them.

The TWE is the only Swedish seat that can be used FF with harness to 55lbs. The new kidzofix can be used RF with harness to 55lbs. The manual mentions a support leg so I assume it doesn't brace at all (I only read the first 2 pages).

Like others said, I'd contact AD and ask him about infant fit in any of these seats. The TWE is the same shell as the marathon (I think) and very wide open so not very cozy for an infant IMO. Also there's no head support although you can apparently add it.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'd look at a Radian or a Scenera 45 for right now.

Some B&M stores have them in stock. Of course, there are many options to order on line and have it in a matter of days.

That will buy you a few pounds to work through the approval process.

featherhead

I'd look at a Radian or a Scenera 45 for right now.

Some B&M stores have them in stock. Of course, there are many options to order on line and have it in a matter of days.

That will buy you a few pounds to work through the approval process.

There is no "Scenera 45". The only seats right now (in the US) that rear-face to 45 lbs are the Radians and the new Peg Perego convertible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC