Back less or high back

njkj

For a spare booster? J is 6.5, 50lbs and 48in. He rode in his Monterrey backless today for the first time and did pretty good so know I am thinking maybe I should just get a backless for his spare, *maybe*.

Eta: this spare would only be used when we car pool and when he is in his Dads truck (01 Ranger). So maybe 2-5 times a month and that is stretching it.

ADS

wildeyes

oh yeah, at that age/size. sure, as long as he sits properly. i've had a backless turbo for ages for dd1 in my moms car, even though she was in a hbb in my car. she was fine.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Will he be in the front seat? I don't think Rangers have back rows? I could be wrong.

I don't know why, but if it's the front I'd feel more comfortable with HBB, but if there's a headrest, I'd do a backless since it's a spare. Lol does that make sense?

njkj

The truck has bucket seats. The seats backs are very tall he will have plenty if room over his head. We also move the seat all the way back (it is has the extra room in back where the jump seat are supposed to be, dh took them out, and the seat goes way back) and turn of the air bag (it has the key switch) no matter what car seat he uses.

Shaunam

I started using a backless as a spare for DS at that age and size almost exactly. Front seat? ....eh, I'd feel a little more iffy on it, but I don't know. Lot of help I am huh? Lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I started using a backless as a spare for DS at that age and size almost exactly. Front seat? ....eh, I'd feel a little more iffy on it, but I don't know. Lot of help I am huh? Lol

I'd be more likely to use one on the front seat, since that means they're further back and away from the dash/airbag than if they were using a high back. The front seat also has head support.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC