Question Baby Trend infant Car seat

abgrant_2006

Has anyone had any issues with the baby trend flex-loc infant carseat? In my small saturn car it seems that no matter how tight i get the seat belt when installing it still slips side to side way more than an inch, really about 2 inches. Is this because the belt path for the base is so much narrower than the belt and the buckle stock in my car? I mean is that possible? It seems the same way in my husbands Dodge truck too. I have not had this checked my a tech, we will as soon as i figure out how to install it half way decent, I need to know how to do this by myself because I or my husband will be doing this often, it is just not practicle to have it checked everytime we have to install. HELP!!! O we do not have latch in either vehicle.

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Are you moving the base from one car to another daily? If so, I would just use it baseless in the less used car.

A tech will help you learn how to install it. Most of the time our new parents don't even attempt to install them before coming to a check.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A good tech will teach you how to do it. Many fire department techs will install it and walk away. You're right, they're wrong.

We have someone here on the board from your neck of the woods, I believe. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=574704#post574704

But yes, the Baby Trend is a PITA with the seatbelt, is one of the more incompatible seats, and often doesn't fit behind front seats because the handle has to be down.

Wendy

abgrant_2006

Ok I have a card from a tech with her number and what not, she is with the police dept and manages the car seat checks set up in Spokane WA, close to where I live. Maybe I will just go in and ask to be taught how to do it, lol. I would not be moving it daily, really not even driving daily, but I just feel it is my responsibility to know how to do it, and not depond on a tech to check it everytime, although I will go in and get a lesson, as well as see if it is not compatable. They are a PITA!!! lol maybe we will just end up on using our radian/diono from birth, which is what i wanted from the begining, lol. Thanks so much for such the fast reply's guys, your great!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There's at least one tech on the list Wendy mentioned that's near you. Generally the CSO techs are the best. :) We're the car seat geeks who sit around chatting about car seats all day. Most of the other ones are car seat techs because it's one small part of their job (as police or fire personnel). Obviously there are good car seat techs that aren't part of CSO, too.

As far as the Baby Trend goes, the problem you're having is common. It can be installed tightly, but it's more challenging in a lot of cars due to that narrow belt path. I see the Baby Trend at car seat checks quite often - it's a popular seat, probably because it comes with a nice stroller as a travel system. But it's not my favorite because it seems to be a real challenge to install in more than its fair share of vehicles.

The good news is that once the base is in nice and tight, you shouldn't have to move it too often. When you want to put the seat in the other car on occasion, just install it with the seat belt without the base. If you're going to be using it in both cars frequently, pick up a second base.

B

BabyTrend

Hey there! Feel free to call the Baby Trend customer service department: 800-328-7363. They can help you out with your issue. Off hand though, it sounds like you need to use the locking clip. We look forward to you call. Cheers, the Baby Trend Team.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had a Saturn car that had a really big "dead zone" to the seatbelt - it meant that the seatbelt switched from locked mode back to the free-moving emergency mode while there was still quite a lot of webbing out of the retractor.

If this is the problem you're having in your car, you may encounter it with the Radian too. I know it was a ff'ing radian that I discovered the problem in my car.

If this is the case, the previous person is right that a locking clip is the best solution.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC