My RSTV is soaked!!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
AK! Is it ruined?

I stored my RSTV in the trunk of my car so it would be available as my emergency booster. But after a close call with DH trying to put a full propane tank on top of it, I moved it to a "safer" location under the cardboard-ish trunk floor on top of the spare tire. There's a ton of extra room in there and I figured it would be safe from things being plunked on top of it.

I just got it out and it is really wet. Not like dripping, but not just a little damp, either. Who knows how long it's been wet??

I've laid it on top of a heating vent to gently dry it out. It looks fine. The only discoloration is on a tag. There's no rust or mold or anything like that. I'm sure once it's dry you'd never be able to tell it was wet. But is it still safe? What do you think?

This is the old style, though I'm sure it doesn't matter.

I'm so upset. :( I was going to sell it to Judi today and buy a Bubble Bum instead. Obviously I've already told her about it. What do we do now?

ADS

noahsmom24

Bummer! :( My trunk leaks, so I pretty much don't have one because it is unusable..

I'd Email Safe Traffic Systems the makes of RSTV?
info@safetrafficsystem.com
You can also go to their website and fill out a form.

I wouldn't use it until they gave the OK.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is hand washable, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable not knowing how long it sat wet...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I sent them an email. I'm sure we won't hear back until next week. I sure hope it is ok. But I wouldn't assume anything until they tell me. It doesn't have a harness, so the worries about stretching don't apply like on a harnessed car seat... I think it depends on what the material inside the vest is made of and whether it can hold up to prolonged moisture or not. Only STS can probably answer that question.

*sigh*

That compartment was dry when I put it in there. Last summer. I feel like such a dork.

christineka

Here's what I think. If the vest was wet for an extended period of time, it would smell. If it doesn't smell, then it was wet for only a short amount of time and if that's okay, then it should be good.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Here's what I think. If the vest was wet for an extended period of time, it would smell. If it doesn't smell, then it was wet for only a short amount of time and if that's okay, then it should be good.

Well Judi has it now, so she can tell whether it smells or not. :)

I thought it smelled a little like the trunk of a car. :p But not musty or anything like that.

noahsmom24

This post made me giggle a little...But I agree lol, When things are wet for an extended amount of time they definitely have a nasty smell to them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC