Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    155

    What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    I'm wondering which vehicles will fit 5 car seats? We have a 7 year old in a Britax Regent, an almost 6 year old in a Britax Regent, a 3 year old in a Britax Boulevard a 7 month old in a Graco Safe Seat 1, and we found out we are expecting a little surprise next April. We aren't going to have a lot of money to get something, and I don't think we can get a loan(bad credit). So I'm guessing we might have $2,500 if we are lucky...could be a tad bit more, or a tad bit less. So a tall order I'm sure.

    From what I've looked at, minivans seem to be recommended here more than SUV's or larger vans...but I'm curious if the minivan seats 5 in the back, are you really going to get 5 car seats in there, especially when the 2 Regents are HUGE!!

    Thanks so much. We aren't getting something right this second, but need time to figure out what we need, what it will cost, and get money saved up.

    Sara

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    127

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    Congrats on your new addition My Neighbor can fit 5 carseats perfectly in her 92 Ford Aerostar that runs like a champ. Sadly my 99 Windstart cannot so we always use her van when we take all of our kids somewhere. Her seats are pretty bulky. I couldn't even tell you what they are, one is even an OHS. We fit 3 in the back and in the middle bench 1 FF and 1 RF (for my DD). It's not even difficult to get them in her van which shocks me. And an older Aerostar is going to fall in your price range. I think an older Astro van might work well for you too;
    Tiffanie
    Dylin, 6 y.o.
    Amber FF Britax RegentAutumn RF Britax Marathon

  4. #3
    Carseat Crazy hapaness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arizona/California
    Posts
    190

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    With $2500 you could probably go to an independent car dealership with in-house financing as long as at least one of you is working.
    With the two Regents it might be difficult to find any vehicle that fits them. We had a Chevy Astro that seats eight..they are fairly cheap if you get them used..it ran until 130,000mi and then the engine blew but it had 2 previous owners. Perhaps a used full size van would work also.

  5. #4
    CPS Technician bobandjess99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    do you not have a minivan now? With 4 kids already, and 2 adults, that is 6 people...how is it that you do not already have a minivan or other large vehicle? You might need to get different carseats, for exmaple, in any regular 7 passanger vehicle, you will have to fill both rows of sets, 2 in one row and 3 in the other...for the 3-across row, you will possibly need to get narrower seats..perhaps a Radian for the new babe?

    And, of course, i HATE saying this...but maybe the 7 yr old could go into a booster? you could save about 4 inches width-wise, using a booster over a regent, unless the child is in the extended harnessing seat for physical or other issues which make it imperative s/he remain in the harnessed seat.

  6. #5
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    155

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
    do you not have a minivan now? With 4 kids already, and 2 adults, that is 6 people...how is it that you do not already have a minivan or other large vehicle? You might need to get different carseats, for exmaple, in any regular 7 passanger vehicle, you will have to fill both rows of sets, 2 in one row and 3 in the other...for the 3-across row, you will possibly need to get narrower seats..perhaps a Radian for the new babe?

    And, of course, i HATE saying this...but maybe the 7 yr old could go into a booster? you could save about 4 inches width-wise, using a booster over a regent, unless the child is in the extended harnessing seat for physical or other issues which make it imperative s/he remain in the harnessed seat.

    Hi, we currently have a 2006 Jeep Commander, but we are going to be filing bankruptcy and losing that in the bankruptcy(not like that is a big loss!! ) Most impracticle vehicle I've ever had.

    My 7 year old will be about one month shy of age 8 when the new baby is born. She used to be in a Parkway booster, but due to the recommendations on here, we bought her a Regent car seat because they told how much safer they were than a booster. There is nothing wrong with her that she couldn't technically be in a booster.

    This all makes me wonder...is it safer to keep them harnessed in a Regent and have to get a bigger vehicle such as a Suburban or a larger than a minivan van(astro, safari, montana), etc.? Or to get her in a booster and fit into a minivan which is supposed to be safer...!!

    Oh the decisions. Doesn't seem like there's going to be a great way to do this at all.

    Anymore ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Sara

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy hapaness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Arizona/California
    Posts
    190

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saramomofmany View Post
    Hi, we currently have a 2006 Jeep Commander, but we are going to be filing bankruptcy and losing that in the bankruptcy(not like that is a big loss!! ) Most impracticle vehicle I've ever had.

    My 7 year old will be about one month shy of age 8 when the new baby is born. She used to be in a Parkway booster, but due to the recommendations on here, we bought her a Regent car seat because they told how much safer they were than a booster. There is nothing wrong with her that she couldn't technically be in a booster.

    This all makes me wonder...is it safer to keep them harnessed in a Regent and have to get a bigger vehicle such as a Suburban or a larger than a minivan van(astro, safari, montana), etc.? Or to get her in a booster and fit into a minivan which is supposed to be safer...!!

    Oh the decisions. Doesn't seem like there's going to be a great way to do this at all.

    Anymore ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Sara
    Would you WANT to keep the vehicle? We were able to keep our minivan after filing bankruptcy..we just left it off of the BK...if you dont want to buy a new car then I would talk to your attorney/paralegal/car dealer.
    On another note...we had a Ford Expedition which I LOVED but had to get rid of it because it wasnt affordable. That would easily seat all of your children and they did get great safety ratings.

  8. #7
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    155

    Re: What vehicles will fit 5 car seats?

    Quote Originally Posted by hapaness View Post
    Would you WANT to keep the vehicle? We were able to keep our minivan after filing bankruptcy..we just left it off of the BK...if you dont want to buy a new car then I would talk to your attorney/paralegal/car dealer.
    On another note...we had a Ford Expedition which I LOVED but had to get rid of it because it wasnt affordable. That would easily seat all of your children and they did get great safety ratings.
    No, we wouldn't want to keep the Jeep. We owe about $43,000 and it's worth maybe $20,000!! We're paying $700/month and it's just killing us. It's the #1 reason we are going to file bankruptcy...if we didn't have that, we could probably dig out of the credit card debt.

    Thanks for the head's up on the Ford Expedition...not sure if we can afford one, but we'll see what happens when the time gets nearer.

    Thanks again, Sara

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •