What do stores do with recalled car seats?

stephcali

I'm specifically referring to the recent Chaperone recall. I ordered one from Amazon last Thursday, it was delivered to my door last Friday morning (way faster than I thought it would!) then later on Friday Britax announced the recall, of which the car seat that had just been delivered was a part of. I then contacted Amazon and they agreed to send me a non-affected replacement. Then when the replacement arrived it was the exact same DOM and model # as the first one they sent so again a part of the recall. I was planning on waiting a week or so and then trying to exchange it again (I still haven't even opened the box) and then saw that Amazon completely took the Chaperone off their site.

So my question is what do they do with the seats that are apart of the recall. Obviously not all of the ones they had in stock would be affected since the DOM for the recall only went through April 2011. So do they get the fixes and open all of the boxes and fix them, do the send them back to Britax? When I do get a replacement, if I decide to try that again, I would obviously like a newer seat (the ones I got were from 01/11) but for the price I paid I knew I couldn't expect one brand new. If they do just fix the recalled car seats themselves then I guess I might as well just have the part sent to my house and do it myself instead rather than deal with another exchange.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Generally they would send them back to the manufacturer I think, although in some circumstances they may have to destroy the stock and take a loss. That doesn't usually happen when the manufacturer is still in business and making unaffected seats, though. They should get the Chaperone back in stock when they finish taking inventory of what seats are affected and recieve more unaffected seats from Britax.

stephcali

Thanks! So I think I will just wait until it shows back in stock and exchange it again. I'd much rather have one that doesn't need to be fixed since I haven't even opened the box yet.

I may need to meet up with you sometime in the next couple months to do another check with my now 4 car seats :) Side note, I happened to drive by a place that was doing car seat checks several months ago (last July I believe) so I stopped to get mine checked. I was definitely not impressed since they kept trying to tell me to install my Frontier with LATCH in my Odyssey for my 50lb 4 year old :thumbsdown: Although they did like that my almost 3 year old was still RF :)

stephcali

One of the guys was definitely from CHP, but there was another girl there that was not. I think she just said she had been trained (I should have probed further, but my kids were starting to get antsy), and she was actually more knowledgeable than the CHP guy.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, there are a few REALLY GOOD CHP techs I know, and most of them are, well, not. Sigh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC