I'm going to booster my 5 yo

Ladyl

Im slightly distraught over this.:( Teddy (turned 3 in Dec) is hovering too close to 35lb for my comfort. The only higher weight rfing seat we have is the Radian which is the only harnessed seat Owen (turned 5 Sept) fits in to height wise. Teddy has been ffing the past moth or so. I'm just feeling so uncomfortable with it.

We have no money for another seat. Owen is booster trained and fits well in the turbo and PWSG we have. The car is also his calm space. He could be having and awful melt down day and in the car he just centers himself some how. So I'm thinking this is the lesser of two evils:(

I feel like a I have to choose between my kids safety and I don't like it. I also know some people irl who have strong Britax and to the absolute limit ideology, so I'm a little worried about being judge for this decision.

Reassure me? Tell me this is the wrong choice? Please?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Given a choice between boostering a 5 year old and forward-facing a 3 year old, I think I'd go ahead and booster the 5 year old, especially if the 5 year old is over 40 lbs.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I would have NO issue boostering a 5 year old who will sit properly, which is sounds like your son does. I can understand how you feel, but I don't think you need to feel guilty at all! Besides he is closer to 5.5 than 5 :)

Keeanh

There's no evidence that harnessing is better than boostering for a mature, average-sized 5yo. As long as he can stay in position properly, he's perfectly safe. Some argue that boosters are better for older kids because they reduce neck loads. If you're confident he'll sit properly, then go for it. My 5yo is harnessed for convenience, but I'm very comfortable letting her ride in her brother's booster in DH's car rather than swap seats around.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly, either is probably a pretty safe choice. MY 5 yo was boostered most of the time. I think it's a safe choice.
I'm a little interested though...the height difference between the truefit and the radian is like..an inch or even less...are you saying that the 5 yo is *that close* to the top slots of the radian that he he does fit in the radian, but doesn't fit in the truefit? Are you sure the truefit couldnt be installed in some way as to give the 5 yo enough room to be harnessed in it? Just something to check...sometimes changing a seating position, for example, can give you a lot more room in a certain seat.

Ladyl

He's pretty close to outgrowing the Radian anyway, so this was coming soon. Last time he was in the TrueFit he had barely any room. The TF is so reclined it eats up a lot of torso room. We only have a civic so we can really play around with seating positions.

abigaylebelle

I would booster a 5 year old without a second thought. I booster my own 5 year old often and I am confident in his ability to sit still and the booster's ability to properly position the seatbelt.
To be honest I wouldn't mind a ff 3 year old either. He is very safe either way at this point.

babyherder

I would absolutely booster a 5 year old over 40lbs who can sit properly instead of ff a 3 year old. We know that rf is safer. We don't know that a 40+lb 5 year old sitting correctly in a booster is less safe than in a harness. You are NOT choosing between your children's safety. You are keeping them both very safe.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have no issue boostering a five year old that can sit properly, but I also have no issue FFing a three year old if they outgrow a seat RFing.

I'm probably one of the few here who would keep the five year old harnessed and FF the three year old. :eek:

luvsviola

I am booster training my 5 year old (she needs it for school trips and as a backup seat), and she sits perfectly still and understands as best as a 5 year old car, the importance of sitting nicely since it has been drilled in her for the past 5 years.

I would give it a shot and see how it goes. If he is unable to sit nicely, you'll have your answer. And, if he sits perfectly still, research indicates he is equally safe in the booster as in a harnessed seat.

zactayaus

I have no issue boostering a five year old that can sit properly, but I also have no issue FFing a three year old if they outgrow a seat RFing.

I'm probably one of the few here who would keep the five year old harnessed and FF the three year old. :eek:

I'm with you Kac. If they were my kids I would keep the 5yo harnessed and FF the 3yo.

Reactions: Kac

finn

My freshly minted 5 year old is in a booster full time. He has been training & riding in a booster in everyone elses car since he was 4. He does great, every time.

I would rather see a 3 year old rf & a 5 year old in a booster than a 3 year old ff & a 5 year old harnessed :shrug-shoulders:

fyrfightermomma

I would have zero issues with him in a booster provided he sits properly. My own children switch to a booster on their 5th birthdays and ive never thought twice about it

momtotwogirls

Why not put the 5 yr old in the TF ff and the 3 yr old rf in the radian. The TF and RN have about the same harness height.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
IF he sits well, then based on research, you're making the right choice - we know rf is safer but harness vs booster is debatable. That said, I think Mama gut is a valid way to make that choice, honestly.

But, if he has ANY problems, then I would turn your 3yo. A FF 3yo is going to be safer than an out-of-position 5yo.

My gang usually moved to a booster, at least most of the time, around K age. (OTOH, little M will be 5 at the end of the month and couldn't sit well in a booster if you paid her! Lol. It's all about personality.)

Reactions: Kac

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC