Frustrated with Target

littleangelfire

I was shopping at Target today, and happened to walk across the store to the car seat aisle where I had a conniption fit b/c I saw Graco Turboboosters on clearance for $35!!! So I immediately looked down, intending to get 2 for my little sister and return the Evenflo Big Kids we got for her a month or so ago. They didn't have ANY left! Only the backlesses. So, I went to another Target ----this one had them for $25! WOOHOOOO! Again, though, they had none to buy! So I called 2 other Targets, and neither of them had them on clearance. Apparently each Target makes up their own mind about what's on clearance and how much. What a major pain! I ran into this a few weeks ago when I wanted to buy my son a pair of froggie rain boots. I got all excited, they were only $3.48, but they didn't have his size, so I went to another location, found his size, only to have them ring up as $7.48!! Still cheaper than original price, but not $4 either. So, now I'm dpressed :( wanted those for her. I like them so much better than the Evenflo, but the Evenflo was so much cheaper.

Anyways, thought I'd share my frustration.
Amy

ADS

wildchild

I am just weird enough that I would have bought the wrong size boots for $4, so I could exchange them at another location. I always ask them to check the stock at other stores and hold items for me.

I'm looking for a scenera, and called two stores to ask if they had any. They both told me they had none, not even in the system. I went to one of them today, and they had one. I did not scan it, but the tag said $50. I'm going to check the other store tomorrow.

Kmart had them for $50 as well, but was advertising 10% off.

mommy2env

I am just weird enough that I would have bought the wrong size boots for $4, so I could exchange them at another location. I always ask them to check the stock at other stores and hold items for me.

ROFLOL!! That is something I would do! I have so many Targets around that it would not be a problem finding the right size! :D

littleangelfire

Scenera for $50? That's at least $10 more than most Walmarts, right? I think its absolutely ridiculous that each Target is allowed to set their own prices like its some kind of franchise instead of a national chain corporation all owned by the same head hauncho. And my mom actually suggested I buy the cheaper boots and return them to the more expensive store for the right sized ones - but it was too late and by the time I paid gas to do all the returning and exchanging I'd have paid the difference in gas. :(

Dillipop

I'm looking for a scenera, and called two stores to ask if they had any. They both told me they had none, not even in the system. I went to one of them today, and they had one. I did not scan it, but the tag said $50. I'm going to check the other store tomorrow.

Kmart had them for $50 as well, but was advertising 10% off.

Unfortunately, Target does not honor other Target's clearance prices. I wanted to exchange a sweater for my husband and they made me return it and go shopping. No exchange across for a larger size for me. She clearly stated that they did not honor other Target's prices...so I ended up with one sweater for the price of 2 at the other store. :thumbsdown:

ignora

Senior Community Member
Well, now you guys are talking my language! I am the Target clearance queen... well, according to my mom, anyway. I love Target but, yeah, their pricing policy is kind of funky.

I've asked and I was told that the reason that one Target won't honor another store's clearance price is that each Target decides independently when something will go on clearance. Usually, though, when something is on clearance at one, it's on clearance at another... or will be shortly. But, it's all dependent on the store's neighborhood and clientele. Some things that sell better/faster in one area of town might be slow movers in another, and vice versa.

If you've never noticed, you can look at the top right corner of the little orange clearance tags to see how clearanced it is... if that makes sense. For example, kid's clothes usually go 30% off, then 50%, then 75%. If you see something for 75% (a little 75 in the top right corner) and you want it, you'd better buy it. Once something hits 75%, the next step is that it's taken off the racks and sent to Goodwill... it won't go cheaper and it won't sit there until it dies. Also, kids clothes/shoes are cycled out pretty fast. You can get something full price now and it will be clearanced in two months. I try to remember to check because you have 90 days to return something... so, well within the return time for the full-priced item if it's gone on clearance.

For some items in the store... like cosmetics and personal care items... they start off at 15% off, then do the 30/50/75 off. Holiday items typically go straight to 50%, then 75%, then 90% (for stuff that's still hanging around usually after a week or so after the holiday).

BUT, each store determines how fast this process will go... some wait a week between further markdowns, others 2 weeks or longer. Just depends on the store and item... it's hard to know. The "should I get this now or wait another few days to see if it will go down again (and hope it's still here)".... that part is just a guessing game.

I would have done the same thing some others suggested... called to another store and returned the more expensive one. I've even been known to buy something and then buy it again if it goes down and it's still there. And they know I do it, too... they all know me at the Target closest to my house (sad, I know... they all keep telling me I should just get a job there because I know the store backwards and forwards). One of the customer service guys was teasing me about it once and I told him that if the stuff is cheaper and it's still on the shelf, then it's fair game. Hey, it's not against their policy! I mean, they could say "no returns on clearance items", but they don't. They won't do a price adjustment on clearance stuff, though (they will if you buy something regular price and it goes on sale within 2 weeks of buying it, though... fyi). So, you pretty much have to buy it again and return the more expensive one.

I'm sure most of you are thinking... is she crazy? Yeah, I probably am. But Target is only 1/2 a mile from my house... and there's not much else to do where I live. I moved here from a much bigger city about a year and a half ago. It's kind of my entertainment. Plus, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt! And, I only buy things that I like.... I don't get crap just because it's cheap.

PS- I exchanged something this evening and the customer service guy told me they're going to be tweaking their return policy soon (why he tells me this stuff, I don't know... he just does).

Right now, if you return something w/o a receipt, you can exchange it for something else... but only in the same department... totally stupid. Soon, you'll be able to get a gift card and spend it on anything you want... but the return will have to be less than $20. You won't be able to return anything over $20 w/o a receipt anymore (if you paid cash... they can try to do a look-up if you paid by another method). So, that totally sucks for anyone using Target for their baby/wedding registry and they don't happen to get a gift receipt and the person who bought it paid cash. People are going to be begging their friends/relatives for the original receipts... not cool.

Morganthe

Well, now you guys are talking my language! I am the Target clearance queen... well, according to my mom, anyway. I love Target but, yeah, their pricing policy is kind of funky.

-----
If you've never noticed, you can look at the top right corner of the little orange clearance tags to see how clearanced it is... if that makes sense. For example, kid's clothes usually go 30% off, then 50%, then 75%. If you see something for 75% (a little 75 in the top right corner) and you want it, you'd better buy it. Once something hits 75%, the next step is that it's taken off the racks and sent to Goodwill... it won't go cheaper and it won't sit there until it dies. Also, kids clothes/shoes are cycled out pretty fast. You can get something full price now and it will be clearanced in two months. I try to remember to check because you have 90 days to return something... so, well within the return time for the full-priced item if it's gone on clearance.
PS- I exchanged something this evening and the customer service guy told me they're going to be tweaking their return policy soon (why he tells me this stuff, I don't know... he just does).

Right now, if you return something w/o a receipt, you can exchange it for something else... but only in the same department... totally stupid. Soon, you'll be able to get a gift card and spend it on anything you want... but the return will have to be less than $20. You won't be able to return anything over $20 w/o a receipt anymore (if you paid cash... they can try to do a look-up if you paid by another method). So, that totally sucks for anyone using Target for their baby/wedding registry and they don't happen to get a gift receipt and the person who bought it paid cash. People are going to be begging their friends/relatives for the original receipts... not cool.

LOL -- I know what you mean about the clearance stuff going to Goodwill. There's a tiny branch of GW right next to one of the McDonalds in town. DD and I regularly walk over to browse. I've been able to get Danskin Leotards, Cisco Tops, and even an extra small dog sweater (for my mom's dachs) for dirt cheap and they're brand spanking new. The dog sweater was originally $25 and they had it for $1.50 at the gw. :thumbsup:
In fact, I can almost track when the GW will get new items based on the clearance rack at the only Target in town :D

With the issue of buying gifts -- at purchase, ask for a 'Gift receipt'. It's an option that has coding on purchase price and method, but doesn't print the price out in plain English.
From what I understand, it's fairly common, especially for more expensive items. IMO, items like carseats, baby carriers, and cribs should automatically generate this type of receipt. It would be so much easier down the line for the new owners to take advantage of warranty or claims service.

There's always the option of 'regifting' if the giftees don't want it ;)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Each Target itself does not decide what to clearance, a list comes down from one of the big offices. That means that TB's might not clearance at all locations, just the ones they are not selling at, or the location that is getting something else.

The major difference is that each Target does clearance on a different day. I'm sure if you've been in a Target in the middle of the day you've seen someone somewhere with a big cart full of stuff with a little gun that shoots out the pretty red stickers scanning stuff. Each store has a team that does that, and each team has their own schedule. So, store A could do womens on Monday, but store B on Wednesday.

Last I knew, the policy for registry purchases was that the guest service ppl could look up the purchase via the registry - if the person brought a printed copy, g.s. could scan the registry and then scan the item, and it would bring up the original transaction, in a gift reciept kind of way, therefore providing the person w/ a gift card. I'm not certain if this has changed, it's been awhile since I've needed to use it.

- Former Target Guest Services and later, Plan-o-gram team employee.

crunchierthanthou

Nora's got it pretty close. This is the way I understand Target clearance markdowns. They are determined by the number of items left at each store on the day markdowns are taken. The price will go down again if/when the stock reaches a certain number (but will only change on the day the system is updated). Each department is updated on a different day. If there are more carseats remaining at your store than that threshold on the day baby items in your store are marked down, then the price won't change, but it may at another store. So, it's determined by the inventory at each store, not necessarily set by each store independently.

Nora, I think we're target twins. Although I did actually get a job there in college. I had just moved to a new town and spent way more time there than I should have. I figured I might as well get paid to be there. I also re-buy a clearance item if it goes down again and return off the old receipt. I'd be in heaven if I had one 1/2 a mile away. The closest one right now is at least 20 minutes (though the current rumor is they're building one 3 miles away :D).

eta to the OP: I totally understand your frustration. I've rushed to another store for an item only to find them out of stock or not marked down the same. If you take the card with the 9 digit number (xxx-xx-xxxx, called DPCI) or upc to customer service they can search stores in your area to see who has it left and for what price. That's not always 100% accurate (which just makes that disappointment even worse), but it's better than no info at all.

vamom

Well in my circle, I am known as THE CLEARANCE QUEEN, lol. I've got target and walmart down to a science! I don't live as close as I did, but I do still love the thrill of the hunt. I have thought about strating an ebay business for all the great deals that I just don't need, but have a hard time passing up. I have a hard time paying full price for anything at this point.

Wendy

amyg530

i love targets sales! i try to go in there like once a week to see what they have. most recently i got my friend a pair of shorts for her baby for .47!
and i know exactly what boots you're talking about, theyre still 7.48 at my store.

littleangelfire

eta to the OP: I totally understand your frustration. I've rushed to another store for an item only to find them out of stock or not marked down the same. If you take the card with the 9 digit number (xxx-xx-xxxx, called DPCI) or upc to customer service they can search stores in your area to see who has it left and for what price. That's not always 100% accurate (which just makes that disappointment even worse), but it's better than no info at all.

I wonder if some things are different by area. When I asked a few different employees if they could see if another store had the clearance item I was looking for, they both said no, not on clearance stuff. And here I've returned stuff without receipt, and as long as I've used a check, debit or credit card they just look it up using my card. When I'd used cash, they just gave me a gift card. I've never experienced the 'must be from the same dept.' thing. That stinks. :( I went to yet another Target today with high hopes, the one I called last night just in case the employee was mistaken. Sure enough, they still have the TBs at $50, I think maybe theirs already were on clearance, b/c they had the new version of the TBs that actually say SafeSeat2 on them. I, too, am always in search of the best buy for my money. Though with gas prices what they are, my driving around has become a little more limited. I'll keep checking Target, b/c my receipts for the Big Kid boosters expires on 8/10. I REALLY like the TBs better. :D I checked online, too, no luck. All full price. Oh well.

ignora

Senior Community Member
First, I want to say sorry to Amy for kind of hijacking her thread a little bit. :whistle: I hope you find the cheap boots!

Thanks, Ignora! Wow... :bow:

LOL.... no problemo. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about Target, but I guess I know a lot more than a lot of people.

LOL -- I know what you mean about the clearance stuff going to Goodwill. There's a tiny branch of GW right next to one of the McDonalds in town. DD and I regularly walk over to browse.... In fact, I can almost track when the GW will get new items based on the clearance rack at the only Target in town

Yeah, I got one of those Magic Bullet blenders at GW for super cheap and it had come from Target.

With the issue of buying gifts -- at purchase, ask for a 'Gift receipt'. It's an option that has coding on purchase price and method, but doesn't print the price out in plain English.

Yeah, I know... I was talking about those poor souls who get gifts and the gifter didn't happen to give them a gift receipt. :)

Each Target itself does not decide what to clearance, a list comes down from one of the big offices. That means that TB's might not clearance at all locations, just the ones they are not selling at, or the location that is getting something else.

The major difference is that each Target does clearance on a different day.... Each store has a team that does that, and each team has their own schedule.

That would explain why there are no car seats on clearance at my Target like everyone is talking about. Thanks for all that info! :thumbsup:

Last I knew, the policy for registry purchases was that the guest service ppl could look up the purchase via the registry - if the person brought a printed copy, g.s. could scan the registry and then scan the item, and it would bring up the original transaction, in a gift reciept kind of way, therefore providing the person w/ a gift card.

Hmmm... I've never bought anything for a registry there. But, it sounds reasonable. Ok, so their new policy might only suck for people who get birthday gifts and stuff w/o a gift receipt.

This is the way I understand Target clearance markdowns. They are determined by the number of items left at each store on the day markdowns are taken. The price will go down again if/when the stock reaches a certain number (but will only change on the day the system is updated). Each department is updated on a different day.... So, it's determined by the inventory at each store, not necessarily set by each store independently.

Also good info to know... though, I kind of suspected that it works that way just based on what I see. I go to see my sisters a few times a month (where I used to live... about an hour away) and I usually check out a few of the Targets there just for fun. There are 6 in town there and definite differences in how fast they mark stuff down.

Nora, I think we're target twins. Although I did actually get a job there in college.... I also re-buy a clearance item if it goes down again and return off the old receipt. I'd be in heaven if I had one 1/2 a mile away. The closest one right now is at least 20 minutes (though the current rumor is they're building one 3 miles away ).

Target twins... LOL! Actually, I did work there in college WAY back when for about a week. I did the morning stocking, which was fun... but I got offered a better job at an answering service for medical offices. It was over a dollar more and hour and, at the time, I really needed the money so I took the other job. I don't know if Target would actually hire me back now (almost 20 years later) because I'd just started and wasn't able to give 2 weeks notice. I'd love the employee discount now!

And, I'm glad to know I'm not the only re-buyer and returner... my family thinks I'm weird... but I don't care. Target is so close that I don't have the gas price issue, so why shouldn't I? I hope you get your close one!

Well in my circle, I am known as THE CLEARANCE QUEEN, lol. I've got target and walmart down to a science! I don't live as close as I did, but I do still love the thrill of the hunt. I have thought about strating an ebay business for all the great deals that I just don't need, but have a hard time passing up. I have a hard time paying full price for anything at this point.

I know what you mean about passing stuff up and paying full price. I've gotten so cheap lately! I sometimes buy stuff that I don't necessarily need right now, but it's not crap and the price is too good to pass up. Sidney has WAY more clothes and shoes (which she LOVES) than she really needs. It's hard to tell her no when she wants a pair of $1.98 shoes. A few months ago, they had 2-packs of photo albums down to something like $2.48 per 2-pack. I think I bought 8 packs! I did need them, but not really that many. I gave a couple to my sister, but I'm not sure what I'll do with the extras. I may convert my old photo albums (ie, not acid-free) to these new ones. I think that ebay is a great idea... don't know why I didn't think of that. And, yeah, I'm pretty good at Walmart, too... but I like Target clearance better. Walmart stuff will sit around at the same price for a long time before they do more markdowns.

i love targets sales! i try to go in there like once a week to see what they have. most recently i got my friend a pair of shorts for her baby for .47!

What a deal! My sister just had a baby and I've been having fun getting cheap tiny clothes again. The summer clothes are already almost gone where I am... I got a bunch of stuff for next year for Sid. Seems like they clearance summer clothes right after the 4th of July. And toys, too. Most people know about the post-Christmas markdowns, but fewer know about post-July 4th... so it's sometimes easier to get good stuff before it's all gone.

I wonder if some things are different by area. When I asked a few different employees if they could see if another store had the clearance item I was looking for, they both said no, not on clearance stuff. And here I've returned stuff without receipt, and as long as I've used a check, debit or credit card they just look it up using my card. When I'd used cash, they just gave me a gift card. I've never experienced the 'must be from the same dept.' thing. That stinks.

I guess they must be different... or the policy just hasn't changed at all the stores yet. They've got me trained, though, to always keep my receipts so I don't run into return problems (they only let you return 2 items per year w/o a receipt). I have an envelope that I keep my receipts in by date order because I never know if I'm going to need to return something I found cheaper later. I almost never have to deal with their 'no receipt' policy (unless I get a gift). I just thought the new policy might suck for other people.

I went to yet another Target today with high hopes, the one I called last night just in case the employee was mistaken. Sure enough, they still have the TBs at $50.... I'll keep checking Target, b/c my receipts for the Big Kid boosters expires on 8/10.

Like I said earlier, no carseat clearances for me... bummer. Though, they have had a Recaro Young Start (I think... the one that's booster only) there for over a month clearanced for $104. They don't normally carry Recaro here, though, so maybe it was an online return or something. I'd get it if Sid was anywhere near booster age... it's blue and really nice. Maybe if it goes down more I'll find a reason to buy it.

And just another FYI, they give you at least a week's grace period on your receipt expiration (shhh... don't tell). So, you really have until at least 8/17. One of the customer service people told me that the computer always gives at least a week, but didn't know exactly what the outside number of days was. I've returned things as late as 8 days past the date on my receipt. As long as the computer accepts it, it's fine. If the computer says no, they can't override that.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for all the info. We should start a Clearance Queen club... I love talking clearance! Since I'm not a tech, I sometimes feel kind of useless around here... but I hang around anyway. It's nice to know a little bit about something for once. :love:

Wineaux

Hello. My name is Wineuax and I'm a Target clearance junkie.

This so seems like an AA meeting doesn't it? :D

My local Target had tan Britax BV's for $153.95 recently. I didn't need it, and it wasn't low enough for me to consider buying it to fleabay, so I left it for someone else.

Don' forget to ask a CSR when their department is doing the next round of interim markdowns. They're always nice enough to tell me which day of the week that they do markdowns on for a particular department. That way I know when to come back and check on the item to see if the price has gone down again.

You can also keep up with clearance items by checking out the Target Rolling Thunder clearance thread on www.fatwallet.com which I am a big fan of. The Super Target grocery coupons can get really sweet if you know how to play them correctly. There is a nice coupon generator that hosts the images of the Super Target grocery coupons and then allows you to select the number of coupons you want to print.

Anyone here remember the Choxie gourmet chocolate bar coupon? A $2.00 off coupon that allowed you to get their $2.00 chocolate bar for free! I ended up with like 50 chocolate bars that I'm still munching on... Yummy!

PS... NEVER CALL A STORE TO CHECK ON THE AVAILABILITY OF A CLEARANCE PRICE ITEM! This is rule number one and should always be followed! Go to the store and check for yourself. Why? Because many Target associates don't keep up with interim markdowns, and some markdowns may occur internally, but are never reflected on the clearance tag of the item. If the item is good, and the price is low enough, many Target associates (this applies to any other store as well) will pull the item for themselves, and then tell you over the phone that they don't have any in stock. Never call the store on clearance deals! It just ends up messing it up for the rest of us out there trying to get a great deal...

ignora

Senior Community Member
Hello. My name is Wineuax and I'm a Target clearance junkie.

PS... NEVER CALL A STORE TO CHECK ON THE AVAILABILITY OF A CLEARANCE PRICE ITEM! This is rule number one and should always be followed! Go to the store and check for yourself. Why? Because many Target associates don't keep up with interim markdowns, and some markdowns may occur internally, but are never reflected on the clearance tag of the item. If the item is good, and the price is low enough, many Target associates (this applies to any other store as well) will pull the item for themselves, and then tell you over the phone that they don't have any in stock. Never call the store on clearance deals! It just ends up messing it up for the rest of us out there trying to get a great deal...

Clearance junkie... LOL! Yeah, that's about right.

And, good point about calling. I never thought about it that way. I actually don't call all that often (just because I'm there almost all the time :whistle:), but I would have if I needed to... so now I won't. :)

ETA: For some reason I just looked at my reputation level and it went up! I thought that would never happen. So, thanks to whoever gave me the points.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC