Bracing in a Town & Country

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
So, a recent thread had me curious, so I was trying to research if there was a "no touching/bracing" policy with Chrysters with advanced air bags, specifically for the Town & Country.

The LATCH manual says
"Chryster's AAB technology CAN be negatively affected by the pressure/force up from under the lower part of the front seat for specific models; see owner's manual. Sensors are located on the passenger-side and/or driver-side front seat, depending on the model.

The owner's manual says (copied/pasted from the owner's manual, it's in PDF and wouldn't let me screen-shot):

Advanced Front Air Bag Features
The Advanced Front Air Bag system has multistage
driver and front passenger air bags. This system provides
output appropriate to the severity and type of collision as
determined by the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC),
which may receive information from the front impact
sensors.
The first stage inflator is triggered immediately during an
impact that requires air bag deployment. This low output
is used in less severe collisions. Ahigher energy output is
used for more severe collisions.
WARNING!
• No objects should be placed over or near the air
bag on the instrument panel, because any such
objects could cause harm if the vehicle is in a
collision severe enough to cause the air bag to
inflate.
• Do not put anything on or around the air bag
covers or attempt to open them manually. You may
damage the air bags and you could be injured
because the air bags may no longer be functional.
The protective covers for the air bag cushions are
designed to open only when the air bags are
inflating.
• Do not drill, cut or tamper with the knee bolster in
any way.
• Do not mount any accessories to the knee bolster
such as alarm lights, stereos, citizen band radios, etc.

These two together lead me to believe that it IS OK to touch/brace - the sensors are on the bottom/ lower part of the seat, and the owner's manual mentions nothing about not the seats (just not on the airbag covers). Thoughts?

ETA: the vehicle manual info was taken from a 2011 MY T&C manual. I don't know if they were different for previous years, but that would be weird.

ADS

mrs.christie

My 2010 t&c ltd has headrests with some sort of safety feature that move forward in a crash. I think it is called active restraint headrests, anyway it specifically advises not having anything touch or press on the back of the headrest. The classic blvd I have installed rfing would hit at the headrest if the seat is far enough back.

So in my vehicle it is an issue. Maybe other trim levels or other years do not have this?

Last edited:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
mrs.christie said:
My 2010 t&c ltd has headrests with some sort of safety feature that move forward in a crash. I think it is called active restraint headrests, anyway it specifically advises not having anything touch or press on the back of the headrest. The classic blvd I have installed rfing would hit at the headrest if the seat is far enough back.

So in my vehicle it is an issue. Maybe other trim levels or other years do not have this?

Interesting. My manual doesn't mention anything about the headrests (besides the fact that they go up and down, and that the rear ones flip forward for the stow and go. Mine is a 2011 touring, I think.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
2008 Chrysler T&C Touring here. I never saw any bracing restrictions, but will double check when I get home.

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC