Why isn't the Pria recommended more?

gigi

I'm looking for a convertible for my long, leggy baby girl. She's tall and slender, but I think like my son, she's going to be muscular slender, not light. I want to RF to 4 and definitely need the 40 lbs RF weight.

The Radian doesn't fit well in my car (Subaru Tribeca...flat, hard leather seats) and I really don't like the Complete Air.

I want cush padding, tall seat, and for it to not eat crazy front to back room. I loved my EFTA for my son and would buy an EFT65 but I really cannot stand their chest clips...so that negs all the Evenflo convertibles, unfortunately.

I'm thinking the Pria is looking good, but I'm wondering what the negatives are?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Basically, it's a Complete Air with an infant insert. Not exactly, but pretty close. What don't you like about the Complete Air? What is it that's different about the Pria that you think would make you like it better than the CA?

I think the Pria is a fine seat, but if your baby is tall enough to fit a CA then I'm not sure what the Pria has to recommend it over a CA except the fact that it's allowed to be installed more upright (and most people tend to ignore that requirement on the CA anyway, though it IS a mis-use). If that's the main reason you hate the CA - that it's supposed to be very reclined - then yeah, a Pria would address that problem.

I am pretty sure it has the same arbitrary 40" rear facing height limit as the CA, but you might want to double-check the manual on that.

I think the biggest negatives on the Pria are: 1) The Price (though with the BRU trade-in event that's not so bad right now). 2) The width. It's a big seat. 3) It can be difficult to install in some cars (can't they all?).

On the other hand, it's got a nice tall shell, nice high harness slots, and good high weight limits.

I say test it out in your car and see if you like it after you've tightened it in and adjusted it, and if you want it go for it.

gigi

I think the Complete Air feels cheap (lack of padding, harness, rickety adjustments, etc) ...and I don't like the crazy recline. I also don't love the 40" rule but I think she'll probably hit 40" around 3.5-4, so that isn't a deal breaker.

I'm just so not loving any of the options I have. I might just use the T35 to the limits, maybe buy a Coccoro, and wait to see what comes out between now and next year.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Coccoro would get you a matter of months over a T35 used to the maximum. Laine's got about an inch above her head in a SR35 before she's at the 1", and she's got about 2" in a Coccoro.

Wendy

jjordan

The Britax convertibles are not the best for leg room, but you're running out of options... Have you given them a try?

gigi

Bummer, okay back to the drawing board.

Britax were my original plan but my girl isn't even 8 months yet and her legs have touched the seat for quite a while. I know legroom isn't a comfort/safety thing (my son RFd to 3 y.o. and 35 lbs in an old style Boulevard) but it is hard to buckle them with the long legs jammed in and she already has long long legs.

I'm thinking if nothing else comes out I'm going to have to try to make a Radian work with the angle adjuster, but I really don't want to.

gigi

tarynsmum said:
Did I miss a No to the MyRide somewhere?

I don't think it is very cushy, but I haven't seem the newer models in person. We drive A LOT and I like to cut out any discomfort variables...plus neither of my kids have any natural padding at all...skinny little behinds.

I also have a crossover, so I was thinking the high sides would make loading her more difficult as she gets bigger.

Not deal beakers though and I am considering one. :)

gigi

wendytthomas said:
A Coccoro would get you a matter of months over a T35 used to the maximum. Laine's got about an inch above her head in a SR35 before she's at the 1", and she's got about 2" in a Coccoro.

Wendy

I didn't realize it was quite that small! She has probably 5" above her head in the T35 now at almost 8 months (shoulders even with second slot). Hopefully we have a good chunk of time in it.

agave

My girls had no comfort problems in their MyRides. Comfort was never an issue with 5 - 400 mile drives. The cup holders really come in handy on long trips.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have yet to play with a Pria, so I don't recommend it because I don't know anything about it.

crunchierthanthou

Basically, it's a Complete Air with an infant insert. Not exactly, but pretty close. What don't you like about the Complete Air? What is it that's different about the Pria that you think would make you like it better than the CA?

I think the Pria is a fine seat, but if your baby is tall enough to fit a CA then I'm not sure what the Pria has to recommend it over a CA except the fact that it's allowed to be installed more upright (and most people tend to ignore that requirement on the CA anyway, though it IS a mis-use). If that's the main reason you hate the CA - that it's supposed to be very reclined - then yeah, a Pria would address that problem.

I didn't find it all that much like the CA. The base and recline make all the difference. It doesn't take up a lot of space, and fit just fine rf in a BMW 3 series.

skylinphoto

Id suggest getting the angle adjuster for the radian..even though I know its not what you want to do.

Its cushy (memory foam under the butt area), low sides, lots of legroom, has the high weight limit and height limit, won't take up a ton of front to back room with the adjuster, and doesn't feel cheap.

It meets most (or all..don't remember) of your criteria.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I didn't find it all that much like the CA. The base and recline make all the difference. It doesn't take up a lot of space, and fit just fine rf in a BMW 3 series.

The base doesn't look all that different in function than the one on the CA LX. And yes, it does fit in a tight space front-to-back, whereas using the CA upright like the Pria is a misuse. So there are definitely some key differences... but overall, I still think it's still a very similar seat. But wider.

Other than the recline issue and the stupid 40" rule, I generally like the CA. The Pria addresses one of these two issues. But I think if I didn't like the CA I'm not sure I'd like the Pria either.

whiteyacht

If you liked the EFTA, try the 65. I have one of each and the chest clips are completely different styles.

gigi

I know they are different...I hate the new chest clips on the Evenflo seats :( I have a Maestro that came with the new clips and it was awful. I ended up, per Evenflo's reco, buying an older Evenflo chest clip and switching it out, but that isn't an option with the convertibles. Bummer too because I'd be ALL over either a 65 or Momentum. Like all freaking over it...I think the height, leg, and car space would be a great match for us, but I'm not going to fight with those clips every time I use the car.

I'm leery of the Radian for a few reasons - the super latch slipping, bad customer service/lying reps, the angle adjuster possibly crumbling or staining my vehicle seats, etc. I find them pretty annoying as a company the more I read about them, but they have the goods, unfortunately, so I might have to just suck it up.

whiteyacht

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure if you meant old or new. Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? I find it hard to slide up the harness, but that's my only gripe.

I hear you on Radians. I found an XTSL at Target for super cheap (online return to store), took it home and played with it, and took it right back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC