Would you buy a convertible for FF?

purplemama

I like the MR for DS2 for FF. I like the recline on it and he has plenty of room to grow, he's just barely above the 3rd slots up. Pretty sure it'll get him to booster (he's 4yrs 2months). Not sure if I could pass it down, from my experience with DD in it this morning, it doesn't fit tiny kids well at all. And well, my two youngest are tiny. (DS1 has a diff. bio dad, he was a chunky monkey). So I have every reason to think the next one will be itty bitty.

I would probably prefer a dedicated booster for DS2 anyway, rather than a combo seat. He's in a Maestro right now and it's okay. It has a continous harness which I hate with every fiber of my being. I'm totally inept with it, I can never get the harness even on both sides. And head slump. It'll be fine as a spare (I paid $25 for it :p).

I'm just thinking that hey, so what if it's a convertible? If it works for us, go with it. KWIM?

ADS

christineka

I would and have. I don't like combo seats as boosters and with the size of my kids, none of them will need the tallest seat out there. I buy what I like best that works for my kids in my vehicle.

Pixels

As long as you have considered the other options, and decided that this is the right one for you, why not?

lpperry

I would. There are not as many choices of combination seats that also make good boosters. I'd just as soon do a convertible that I really like and then get a dedicated booster.

I don't think we will ever have a combination seat because I have a ton of convertible seats that will get my kids well beyond booster age. I don't think I'll ever even have a reason to buy a combination. I would still buy a convertible with no intention of using it rearfacing if I really liked it.

purplemama

Thanks everyone. I haven't been too thrilled with the combo seats out there so I figured why not just do what works for us. :D

momtoo3

I would too. Ds3 is in a MA70 FF in my van but it is hard for him to climb into. I am considering getting him a CA because none of the combo seats are making me happy and the CA is low profile so he should be able to climb into it.

Keeanh

Yeah, go for it. When your son does outgrow it, you'll probably find your daughter has grown into it.

purplemama

I'm facing the same dilemma. Except I'm considering it for my 4 year old with no one to pass it down to.

You could always resell it when your 4 yr old outgrows it.

I'm so fed up with trying to find the right seat that I'm just going to go with what works. If that's a FF convertible for the next two years, so be it.

If a convertible is what is going to work for you too I say do it. :D

Good luck!!!!!!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I did, and do, I guess - especially since I don't have any combo seats (unless you count the Regent, which I guess I should, except that I didn't buy it for *my* kid, it was DBK's who outgrew it)

Little Ps Mama

If I were planning to use it in RF mode for another child, sure I would. I like the MR FF too, it's just not a good fit in our vehicle in that position.

Meg

Yep, my older son has a Complete Air and a Radian that have only been used as FF seats for him. Both seats have really tall shells so they're perfect for FF older kids and I prefer them over combo seats that turn into boosters that I'd never use anyway.

penguingrooves

i guess i'm the exception because i wouldn't, but my kids are tiny and only know RFing. (the oldest at 4 yr 8 mo is only a bit over 30 lbs and maybe 38".) almost everyone laughs or mocks me for not FFing though, but i haven't needed to FF yet. and when i do turn her, i expect a booster would be fine since she'll be old enough.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC