What to take for 3 hour ride after plane trip?

delly

Hi

Ok, if you don't mind another specific scenario for you all to consider...? :)

We're flying to see my grandmother in a few weeks, and it's a 2-3 hour car trip from the airport, plus there will be local trips during the days we're there. So I need safe carseats for the far end, but I also need portability for transportation on the flight. :-/

I have 3 kids

DS1 is 8, 58 lbs, 50 inches
DD is 5.5, 48 lbs, 45 inches
DS2 is 20 months, 23 lbs, 31 inches

Both of the older kids CAN sit in our highback booster (it's the older Britax version, can't remember the name, before it was discontinued, has pretty good head wings which is why I got it) but usually I keep them in 5 pts (Regents and Radian and a Boulevard for DD although she may be getting too tall now).

The toddler I know I'll be taking a seat, it's just a matter of which one.
I have the Radian - could turn it around for him I guess, although I've never used it RF; he's currently in a Triumph Advanced, I think it's called, DD's old seat, rearfacing. We could also put him in the Boulevard. I still have his infant seat, the Grace Snugride 30, but I'm not sure if he's too tall for it - that's why I moved him out of it. I don't know which of those I can use on the plane... I have to look for the manuals.

I'm prepared to for purchase Saferiders or Safeguard Go / Go Hybrids, if they will be safe enough and fit and if it would be significantly easier to get thrm through the airport and plane ride. I'm a little worried about side impact protection with the vest, but I do NOT want to carry three carseats through the airport - plus I'd probly end up having to gatecheck a booster or large carseat anyway since the older two wouldn't be able to use it on the flight. :-( I'm not comfortable putting the 8 year old in a low back booster yet, especially for a long ride.

Can DS1 still use the Saferider or is he too big? How limiting are the Go Hybrid's requirements for the car's tether and headrest? I don't want to get there and find out I can't use it! Any other options I could explore? Any advice from people who have tried to use any of those seats on planes or carry them through airports?

Any advice??

Thanks!

Kelly

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Ride Safer Travel Vest. The large size goes to 80 pounds, so you should be good. It's a wearable five point harness, so top tethered (optional with a lap and shoulder belt, required with a lap belt only) it's pretty stable. There's no shell, but there's no shell in the Go either.

All of the carseats you mentioned, the Triumph Advance, Radian, and Boulevard, are FAA approved. Of those, I'd find the Radian the most comfortable to sit next to, but the Boulevard probably the easiest to install at the other end.

The Parkway is the booster you have now. Since it doesn't come apart, I wouldn't travel with it. If you wanted to bring high back boosters I'd put the backs of Turboboosters in a suitcase and carry on the bottom. The bottom would go in the overhead or under the seat in front, never check them.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC