New car

janahhas4girls

I have a 13 month old who is RF in a Britax Advocate right now. I have an 06' Chevy Tahoe, she currently is in 2nd row middle seat..the car is paid off...I am currently going through a divorce and of all the things agreed on is I need to get a smaller and cheaper car-neither of us want it. I am filling up 2 times a week with all the driving i do to get kids everywhere for activities. I have three older daughters 14 years old, and 12 year old twins. 14 year old mostly rides in front seat.

I'd love something smaller...NOT a mini van! If I can avoid it. I was looking into a Toyota highlander. I am thinking something with bucket seats? Is it safe to put a child behind passenger seat RF in a bucket(captain chair) or no? Or should I maybe get a honda pilot and keep LO in middle RF...I wonder how crowded it would be in there if I had my huge Britax in the middle...may need something a little wider. Any ideas?? Older daughter will be so mad if I get a mini van lol..

ADS

Brianna

What about a Mazda5? Not a mini-van but it has 3 rows, 5 passenger seating.

It's perfectly safe to rear face a car seat on a captain's chair assuming you have a good installation- less than one inch of movement at the belt path.

janahhas4girls

Was looking at those too! It looks a little mini vanish to me, lol I know I can't be too picky about what it looks like...I was looking at a Mazda cx-9
I have on my list:
Honda pilot
Toyota highlander
Mazda cx-9

Looking to add more....

I like the ford edge but it has only 3 seats in back so I can't take any friends with us when I have all 4 girls in car and oldest HAS to ride up front. So I guess of course I NEED something with a 3rd bench.

EmmaGrace'sMom

The Pilot is fairly roomy, but is a gas hog too. I traded mine for a Hybrid Civic. Honestly I would take a good look at the Mazda 5 and minivans, otherwise you're still going to be using a lot of gas! The Honda Odyssey is the best van for gas mileage if I remember from my research, I don't think I considered the Mazda 5 though. Tell your ODD that she can choose the vehicle when she pays ;)

janahhas4girls

Ehhhh I really don't like the mazda 5. Do like the mazda cx-9 though! Fixing to go test drive a Honda pilot, I'll probably fall in love with it..

lawgirl5

Really? Honda Pilot a gas hog?? I have an '06 and mine isn't! I now only drive 20 minutes each way to work, but for the first 5 years I had it, I was driving 70 miles each way and its the BEST car I've had yet!

EmmaGrace'sMom

Really? Honda Pilot a gas hog?? I have an '06 and mine isn't! I now only drive 20 minutes each way to work, but for the first 5 years I had it, I was driving 70 miles each way and its the BEST car I've had yet!
I thought so, I never could get the EPA stated mileage even when trying REALLY hard. The best I could do on a road trip was 18, city was usually around 13. The 4WD is rated at 15 city and 20 hwy...but like I said I could NEVER get there! The 2WD is rated slightly better at 16 and 22.

janahhas4girls

Well right now I'm only getting about 11-14...I could type out my schedule for you guys with all the running around I do with my girls but wont bore you with that! Thinking maybe I should get a hybrid? May be more pricey but better in long run? Soon to be ex can surely afford it....I may have to get a mini van and hang on to that for at least 2 years until ODD starts driving. Just reaaalllly dont want to!!

cookie123

I think it all depends on what you define as good gas mileage.:) I got a solid 20 mpg with my Tribute and I wanted way better. So, I got the Prius. My last tank was 38 mpg. A far cry from the 45 - 50 mpg rating. But it's been colder and I like to warm my car up. I've never achieved the 50 yet.

I don't think I'd get the Mazda 5 if I had older kids. It seems so small. Really for 4 kids, I would do the minivan. I liked driving it way back when, and there's always room for a friend or 2.:) I had one until our oldest 2 moved out. I agree you need 3 rows.

EmmaGrace'sMom

A pilot would get you a little improvement, but not much. Hyrbid's tend to be more expensive than their conventional counterparts, but you might luck out like I did and get one for the same as a conventional. It takes some getting used to though, you have to back off the gas pedal to get the mileage! I do love getting 40 MPG though :cool:

janahhas4girls

Right now, 20 MPG would be awesome! Cant do prius because i need a 3rd row. I am going to look into a Mazda cx-9 , Honda and Toyota....see which one I like best. I HATED my van, it was spacious but I just didn't like it at all. I felt like I was driving a bigger bus than my Tahoe, I could never park it and I just didn't like it at all. Just being honest...didn't enjoy it. I have heard so many good things about Hondas and toyotas though?!

lawgirl5

Stated mileage EPA's are inflated and are only a general assumption based on 15K miles driven per year, a price per gallon of gas (which is whatever it was when tested),how someone drives and the the conditions in which they drive (which include climate). So the same vehicle may get better mileage in one city/state than another or even by one person driving vs another in the same household. Just for reference...

janahhas4girls

I test drove a Honda Pilot and honestly I loved it....i am going to test drive a mazda and Toyota highlander but I'm pretty much sold on the pilot

janahhas4girls

They also let me install her carseat in there behind passenger seat and it went in just fine and then the other seat slides down so kids can get in back. I am not too concerned about cargo space, I do all my shopping when kids are at school and can put it in back seat if I have to.

wavegal

i have a pilot and have fit 2 adults comfortably next a bv70 in the back seat with no issue. I average about 18 local and 21-25 highway for longer trips

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC