Maryland-Legislation introduced to align law with AAP guidelines

ADS

NannyMom

:eek: Ok, this excites me....alot! I'm sure there's a downside...and someone here will point it out. What if.... what if..... the child outgrows the RF seat before 2? What if they don't have the money to buy a bigger seat? I've known a child that was 40lbs at his 2yr check up. Would he have outgrown the Scenera?

ETA: WHO should I be calling/emailing to support this????

cookie123

Well that would be awesome! I suppose it will cause a big uproar though. And even a law doesn't matter to many. But still, it would help!

NannyMom

Well that would be awesome! I suppose it will cause a big uproar though. And even a law doesn't matter to many. But still, it would help!

There will be a mini revolt in my van. Borrowed kid is 9yrs old, and 85 pounds, and passes the 5 step test in most vehicles. But I think she's only 4ft 2.

Jonah Baby

If only the carseat manufacturers would raise THEIR minimums...
I dont think I need to continue. Hope it pushes for change.

SeattleRain

Sounds awesome! The laws should definitely support the new "minimum" that babies should be rear facing. There is going to need to be a lot of posters and other stuff on how it's okay for the feet to touch the back of the seat and pictures of happy "scrunched" toddlers for it to work though. It's been a long time that people have thought that once the feet touched the seat, you flipped them and its going to take a long time to change that thought.

morninglori

If only the carseat manufacturers would raise THEIR minimums...
I dont think I need to continue. Hope it pushes for change.

It's kind of a chicken-egg thing, right? Does anyone know the history of the 1yr/20lbs? Did the laws change because of the seats or did the seats happen because of the law?

SignCuer

This will be one of the reasons, if it passes, that I enjoy living in MD! :D :D

Kathy- let me know what u find out or whatnot, I'm wanting to help!!

Wahooo!!

SignCuer

Kathy- if so said child is that kind of child, I would be requiring a doctor note verifying that because that's uncommon but it does happen. Same as getting medical note to import a seat (KQ)

NannyMom

Kathy- if so said child is that kind of child, I would be requiring a doctor note verifying that because that's uncommon but it does happen. Same as getting medical note to import a seat (KQ)

A doctors note verifying what? I know it's unusual, and I'm shocked myself. But I'm the one that checked her to see if she 5-stepped. I know she does in all spots in my van, and outboard in her parents vehicles.

morninglori

ETA: WHO should I be calling/emailing to support this????

From the article, the group that seems to be at the forefront iss MedChi. Maybe that is a good place to start with?

from their website http://www.medchi.org/law-and-advocacy

Legislative Office

The Legislative Office, located close to the State House in downtown Annapolis, coordinates MedChi's legislative activities, working closely with MedChi's lobbyist and physician activists to ensure that the voice of MedChi and Maryland physicians is heard in the General Assembly. The Legislative Office produces the Legislative Update weekly while the legislature is in session, arranges for physician testimony on bills, and staffs the meetings of the MedChi Legislative Committee. Reach the legislative office by e-mail at swisniewski@medchi.org, or by phone at 410-539-0872 ext. 6001.

mommyfrog

That's awesome. I tried to register and make a response to the question about rear facing in a rear collision, but it won't let me sign in.:mad:

SignCuer

NannyMom said:
A doctors note verifying what? I know it's unusual, and I'm shocked myself. But I'm the one that checked her to see if she 5-stepped. I know she does in all spots in my van, and outboard in her parents vehicles.

Not the 5 step kid... 40 lb RFing kid and not able to afford a 45 one. Doc note could help verify that ad if needed to turn FF.

However the 5 step kid, is amazing. Its def unusual.

stephpook

Please share if anybody finds how we can all support this

The best way to start would be to email the members of the committee to which the bill has been referred. The Senate version (SB185) has been referred to the Judicial Proceedings Committee and the House version (HB313) has been referred to the Environmental Matters Committee. If you live in Maryland, you should also contact your Senator/Delegate(s). Neither bill has a hearing date set yet.

Here's a list of the members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee and the Environmental Matters Committee. Click on each member's name to get their contact information. Or you could try contacting the administrative staff for each committee to express your support (phone numbers are listed in the above links).

Hope that helps.

NannyMom

I wasn't very good at social studies. What are the steps this will go through to become a law?

I also have medchi's talking points for those that want them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC