Talking to parents about incorrect usage

B

bugglette

I run a very small in home day care (3 kids) and have a 4yr old son. Two of the kids in my care (girl, 22m) and (boy, 3y 5m) are siblings. When they first stared at my daycare they were 4m and 23m, respectively. In the beginning, they were loosly strapped in VERY old, improperly installed car seats. I confronted the parents about the situation and instructed them in proper car seat use...installing car seats in both their cars for them. Proper use continued until it was time for the girl to switch from a bucket to convertable seat. She was about 12m and they immediately FF her in her new scenera (big brother has been FF this whole time). Whenever I mention RF and its benefits, they push the "he/she likes it better FF," yet neither seem to mind RF in my car. Now, as of his 3rd birthday, the boy has been in a , seemingly second hand, high back booster. This "little" guy is big for his age, but has a slight developmental delay, so he is definitely not ready. I don't think they care about car seat safety and I'm not sure what else i can do at this point....opinions?

We are in AZ
(This post was written from my phone, please excuse any errors)

ADS

babyherder

Give the parents a handout with the basic carseat rules/guidelines so they know when its appropriate to switch kids to next step (booster at age 4 at the earliest, out of booster when 5 step tested passed). Offer to answer questions, help install seats, help find appropriate seats, whatever they need. And then leave it.

jnamommy

Exactly what babyherder said. Sometimes you can't fix it all. You can ony do so much. And this might be one of those cases where all you can do is provide information and then make sure they are safe in your vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC