Spirit level to check seat angle?

Happytobeme

Hi all:)
I am trying to figure out where I would place a spirit level on my MA to see what angle it is at.
SPB was kind enough to check it with the CAD software but I would like to be able to get a good idea of angle when it goes into different vehicles. I also think that mine has moved so I want to be able to adjust it, check it without bothering anyone else!!
So...... if anyone has any ideas on where I could place my trusty level I would be very appreciative??
I really think that they need to build in level of some kind to all seats or at least mark a reference point for people like me!!!:rolleyes:

ADS

southpawboston

i think there was a discussion about this, and that the level should be placed approximately where the child's head/neck would be.

maybe i'm wrong, but isn't a spirit level a bubble-type level? how would that tell you what angle the seat is at? it would only be able to tell you if it was level, or not level in either direction. KWIM? a bubble is only handy to know if something is *perfectly* level. with carseats, there's a safe range.

the snugrides have something similar, but it's a weighted dial indicator that tells you if you're in a safe "zone" of recline... not a bubble.

Happytobeme

The spirit level that I have has a 45 degree bubble on it so you can tell exatly when you have it right. I did try to put it where the head/neck go, but it seems inconsistent with the puffly fabric on the seat. I also tried it on the back of the seat where the harness runs down but that too seems off. After you checked it for me, and I had an idea of how close I was, I went out and tried it but couldn't find a spot that matched. Does that make sense?? My spirit level is only about 8 inches long so it is really easy to use on the seat I just need to know where to level it from??
What points do you use when doing it with the software??

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I was also thinking you could use a speed (carpenter's) square with a level in it. I know there are some. That would at least tell you where the 45 degree mark is.

Also, I think most hardware stores carry angle indicators and some might have bubble levels built in - hmm, I have to check DH's workshop downstairs later... That would give you a pretty precise angle. I would place it against the seat back, near the head or shoulder area.

ETA: How about one of these: http://www.acehardware.com/product/...=angle&parentPage=search&searchId=21262000674

southpawboston

i follow the ridge that runs along the side of the shell, which *should* in theory correspond to the angle at which the kid's back rests against the seat. the britaxes seem easier to do this way, while for some other seats there is no way to estimate the angle of recline from looking at the side because of large side wings that get in the way (like infant buckets). too bad you couldn't just take an x-ray of your kiddo while sitting in it, then draw the line following his/her spine, lol... ;). it wouldn't get much more accurate than that. ;)

Happytobeme

Thanks!
I think i will keep messing with this until I find a way ;)
Maybe if I take the cover off and do it against the shell!! Off I go to try that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC