Recall Notifications

NBTech

CPS Technician
I have been subscribed to The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center recall list because I liked being able to sign up for automatic emails whenever the list was updated. But they haven't updated yet to include the 1/23 Britax info. 8 days isn't acceptable. Any suggestions for a more reliable source?

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I had it from the NHTSA list that day or the next. Very quickly!

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
Thanks for posting this. I had seen the recall through Britax's facebook page. It never clicked with me that I also didn't get the email. Subscribed through NHTSA now.

Bill Hall

CPS Technician
I have been subscribed to The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center recall list because I liked being able to sign up for automatic emails whenever the list was updated. But they haven't updated yet to include the 1/23 Britax info. 8 days isn't acceptable. Any suggestions for a more reliable source?

Please clarify what recall you are referring to when you say "the 1/23 Britax info". Britax issued a recall on the Chaperone this past Friday - January 27th - late in the afternoon. We received our NHTSA recall notification Saturday January 28th. The last recall that had been issued by any CR manufacturer prior to that was in March 2011. If you are aware of another recall, safety notification or consumer advisory that had been issued prior to the 27th, please point us in the right direction so that we can include it.

We plan to release the updated HSRC Recall list later today - tomorrow at the latest. We have spent the past several days waiting for clarification on the model numbers involved in the recall plus we carefully review the materials posted for accuracy before posting.

- Bill

--
Bill Hall
Manager, Occupant Protection Program
UNC Highway Safety Research Center
730 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite 300
CB# 3430
Chapel Hill, NC 27599

919-962-8721 (Voice)
919-962-8710 (fax)
bill_hall@unc.edu
http://www.hsrc.unc.edu
http://www.buckleupnc.org

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Thanks, Bill!

I would like to add that sometimes the NHTSA announces recalls with little or no warning at all to the manufacturers (or those who compile recall lists). That means there can still be issues that have not been completely resolved, including the exact ranges of dates or model numbers, the availability of a fix and other details.

Programs involving carseats that are not done through NHTSA, such as those that are not official recalls or consumer advisories, may be slower to be distributed and, in some cases, may or may not even be appropriate for recall lists.

I note that Britax did issue a statement regarding an issue with their convertible seats in the USA and Canada on January 3rd, but this action was not done through the NHTSA as it was not deemed to be a safety issue ( http://www.britaxusa.com/convertible-statement ). As such, it was not an official recall, which is why it may not have appeared on a recall list.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I subscribe to automatic email notifications from both NHTSA and HSRC. NHTSA is always first to break the news of the recall but the HSRC recall list is the only one I print and use at inspection appts/events. It's also the one we use in training class since it's more thorough and more user-friendly than the NHTSA list. Not to mention many pages less to print - especially if you only print the first half with recalls on CRs less than 10 years old.

I remember feeling really bad for the staff at HSRC who were tasked with sorting through all the brands, model names and model numbers after that huge Dorel recall in February 2011. At the time I remember joking that Dorel probably couldn't figure out all the seats involved either.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Bill. And keep up the good work! We appreciate all you do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC