Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Suggestions for convertible carseat

Hello,

My daughter Gianna is nearing the height limits of her infant carseat. Gianna is 12 months old, almost 30 inches, and is 16lbs 10 oz.

Do others have suggestions for the safest rear/forward facing convertible seat that we could move her into? From our research so far, we are leaning towards the Britax Boulevard, but if there are others better for her build also rated highly for safety, we are happy to consider.

Thanks in advance for your advice

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Unregistered

Convertible car seat suggestions

Woops, I forgot to include my car make and model in my last posting, so I am reposting now.

I was recommended to this forum by a friend. My daughter Gianna is nearing the height limits of her infant carseat. Gianna is 12 months old, almost 30 inches, and is 16lbs 10 oz.

Do others have suggestions for the safest rear/forward facing convertible seat that we could move her into? From our research so far, we are leaning towards the Britax Boulevard, but if there are others better for her build also rated highly for safety, we are happy to consider.

We have a Subaru outback and only have one baby so far, so she is currently in the center of the back seat, rear facing.

Thanks in advance for your advice

CPS Technician
    Britax isn't on my top 5 convertible picks anymore. It was 4-5y ago (last time I bought a convertible). There are many seats out there that will last longer and cost less. All seats on the market pass the same testing, so we can't say a britax is any safer then a cosco scerena. I will say that britax has a good marketing department. Companies can say whatever they want about SIP or how much better there seat is, but they don't have to prove anything.

My top 5 seats - in no special order -
    Graco Myride65 - rf to 40#, ff to 65#
    Evenflo triumph65 - rf to 40#,ff to 65#
    Safety1st complete air or maxi cosi pria - very similar seats - both made by dorel - rf to 40#, ff to 50 or 65# (depends on seat)
    First years truefit - rf to 35#, ff to 65#
    Sunshine kids/diono radian - rf to 40 or 45#, ff to 65 or 80#, new version turns into a booster, but not very promising as a booster.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Unregistered

Re: Suggestions for convertible carseat

Thanks Stefanie for these suggestions. Do you or others also have suggestions in particular for models that are good for my daughter's build (i.e. she is way more likely to outgrow height limitations, is thin and has a long torso) and for our particular car (subaru outback)?

Re: Suggestions for convertible carseat

She sounds fairly small. If I were you I would go to TRU or some other store that has different seats, and try her in them. At her size the Boulevard would probably last her quite a while. A seat like the Radian would probably be overkill (unless you want to rear-face her till she's 6 )

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1